I Love Transit Night = great success!

Wow!

A huge thank you to everyone who came out and participated in I Love Transit Night yesterday! It was lovely to meet all of you in person!

Check out some photos of the evening from Jason Vanderhill’s Flickr account, which I’ve embedded as a slideshow above. (If you have any photos to share, send me an e-mail — I was so busy I didn’t manage to take any pictures!)

For those who didn’t make it out, here’s what happened: about 30 people were on hand to play transit games, grab buttons, and fold bus and SkyTrain cutouts. David from Trans-Vancouver also brought albums of bus photos to share.

I organized three rounds of games and divided everyone into two teams: Team Buses and Team SkyTrain. The teams competed to identify SkyTrain stations on a map without names, worked out transit-related numbers based on clues, did some straight-up transit trivia, and also did an instant scavenger hunt.

And Team SkyTrain won the whole thing, in no small part to transit enthusiast Reva. During the instant scavenger hunt, teams got five points for every 3-zone adult FareCard they could produce – Reva happened to have her collection of historical bus passes on hand, giving Team SkyTrain 19 FareCards for their side!

I also brought a giant bus model and giant SkyTrain model, which were won in a draw by George from Trans-Vancouver and Terry Muirhead respectively. (Although, in a shocking turn of events, somebody absconded with the SkyTrain model at the end of the evening!)

All in all, however, it was a great evening and wonderful to meet everybody. Thank you again for coming out to the End Café – it was lovely to have you there.

And I’m almost clean out of buttons, but here’s a gallery of what each button looked like, in case you were wondering :) Edit: I should mention that I designed the two I Love Transit Week buttons; Jason Vanderhill did the yellow bee button, the MkI/MkII buttons and the bus with a giant heart above it; and the Mustache Press designed the rest. Thank you to Jason and the Mustache Press for such fine work!

• By Vitus, February 27, 2009 @ 11:55 am

Look’s like fun! I wish I were there! Hopefully this isn’t the last “I Love Transit Week” meet up, and that the next one doesn’t fall on a school/work day.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, February 27, 2009 @ 1:57 pm

Yes, we’ll have another event sometime! I’m not certain I can promise it will be on a weekend/Friday though, as mid-week often works for many others out of school! I’ll keep your recommendation in mind though — we’ll see how it all works out.

• By Reva, February 27, 2009 @ 2:45 pm

Thanks again for having us Jhenifer. We really enjoyed it and it was great fun meeting the other transit enthusiasts there. Hopefully you can put on another such event in the very near future.

P.S. For the record, my binder full of FareCards is my historical collection, I’m not some underground black-market bus pass dealer, lol (in case you weren’t sure) :op

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, February 27, 2009 @ 2:46 pm

Oops — I’ll change the article to reflect that it’s a historical collection :)

Thanks for coming Reva — it was lovely to meet you!

• By Reva, February 27, 2009 @ 5:01 pm

LOL, that’s cool Jhenifer. It was nice meeting you too. :)

• By Jacob Louie, March 15, 2009 @ 8:58 pm

This sounds very fun. Too bad in Toronto, people don’t get excited about transit as much as Vancouver. Will there be future events like these ones? Hopefully I’ll be in town during then. Keep up the good work. btw, I love those transit buttons (especially the Mk I buttons).

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, March 16, 2009 @ 11:04 am

There will be future events. No firm dates yet though!

• By Nav, March 3, 2010 @ 6:23 pm

Hi there,
    i would like to come in future transit events can u plzz let know by E-mail

• By Ric, May 7, 2010 @ 10:54 pm

Any idea when the next one will be? I would like to come to the next one.

• By Ric, May 11, 2010 @ 3:51 pm

Will the one comming up this July be posted on the buzzer blog?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, May 17, 2010 @ 4:39 pm

Ric: yes.

1. countably infinite » Blog Archive » Transit Photography in Vancouver - now criminal? — March 19, 2009 @ 11:30 am

2. The Buzzer blog » Guest post: Vancouver Transit and Art — March 8, 2010 @ 4:18 pm

3. The Buzzer blog » Guest post: Vancouver transit and art in the Capilano Calendar series — May 5, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

4. The Buzzer blog » A call for submissions: I Love Transit Week, July 12-16 — June 7, 2010 @ 9:00 am

5. The Buzzer blog » I Love Transit Week 2010: let’s make some new transit buttons! — June 21, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

6. The Buzzer blog » I Love Transit Week 2010: reminder to get your haikus in! — June 30, 2010 @ 9:02 am

7. The Buzzer blog » All the details for I Love Transit Night, Thu July 15! — July 8, 2010 @ 1:01 am

8. I Love Transit Night at the Heritage Grill (plus, a contest!) | Tenth To The Fraser — July 13, 2010 @ 7:51 pm