ALERT! :  More info

Transit flashback: the orange SeaBus

An ad in a historic trolley for the SeaBus back in the 1970s. Photo by <a href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickie22/1794552363/in/set-72157602594969846/>rickie22</a>.

An ad in a historic trolley for the SeaBus back in the 1970s. Photo by rickie22.

Many moons ago, Eric shared this photo of a vintage SeaBus ad in a historic Brill trolley. Can you believe the SeaBus used to be orange back in the 1970s?

Anyway, do check out the whole set of Eric’s photos, which are from a Brill trolley tour put on by TRAMS in 2007. Here’s one more:

Another ad from the Brill historic trolley.

Another ad from the Brill historic trolley. Photo by rickie22.

And make sure to see this ad: it’s pretty amazing!

• By Cliff, January 20, 2010 @ 9:10 am

I have couple posters given to me by David Stumpo quite a few years back. I’ll take a few pictures and email them when I get some time.

The first is an advertisement for Go-Cards showing a bus, SkyTrain, and SeaBus blasting off from earth.

The second shows an illustrated SkyTrain travelling through a very condensed version of Vancouver.

Due to the format of these posters, I believe they may have been intended to be placed on the end of a MK I SkyTrain or on the SeaBus in the early 1990s.

• By Donald, January 20, 2010 @ 10:21 am

Who wears short shorts? lol. Transit’s sure come a long way… including the fares unfortunately.

• By ;-), January 20, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

Hey Jhenifer, you should add Seabus picture from 7 years ago where they painted the roof to look like a giant lapel pin for the Olympic bid.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, January 20, 2010 @ 3:44 pm

;-): I don’t have a photo of that! Anyone out there got it?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, January 20, 2010 @ 5:10 pm

Cliff: looking forward to seeing those! I have a pamphlet with the Go Card buses blasting off, but not the actual ads.

• By Cliff, January 20, 2010 @ 9:49 pm

As I wasn’t around back then, I wonder. When the SkyTrain first came out, was it percieved as very futuristic? Those ads make it seem so.

Maybe that was the appeal behind SkyTrain back then. Whatever the reason, going with SkyTrain was the right choice. After all, can you imagine a Vancouver driver yielding to an LRT? Look what’s happening in Seattle and they’ve got far better drivers than we do!

Who ever was in charge of advertising back then along with the people pushing SkyTrain did us all a great favour. In the end SkyTrain really was the future.

Looking forward though… What could be more futuristic than an elevated automated metro?

• By Eric, January 21, 2010 @ 7:21 am

This was quite a surprise, so thank you, Jhenifer!

(BTW, can you double-check the link for the SeaBus ad photo? It’s different from that in the caption.)

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, January 21, 2010 @ 11:59 am

Fixed! And thanks for sharing :)

1. fiverr edu links — October 23, 2011 @ 2:56 pm