ALERT! :  More info

TransLink busker auditions are full as of 10 a.m.!

The sign on the signup table. There was one in the hallway too.

The sign on the signup table. There was one in the hallway too.

Auditions for our busker program are being held today, and so many people showed up that we managed to fill all the audition slots by 10 a.m.! It’s so sad we can’t hear everyone!

I popped by at 11 and managed to catch some of the audition process. Here’s a video of Nathaniel Wong playing the violin, and the many folks in the room waiting to audition. Best of luck to Nathaniel in his quest for a busker’s license! If you’d like to hear more from him, he suggested checking out the website for his band Yes Nice.

• By skytrainboy22, January 14, 2010 @ 7:34 pm

What was the auditions for?

• By skytrainboy22, January 14, 2010 @ 7:35 pm

What was the auditions for? And what is the busker program?

• By Bryn, January 14, 2010 @ 7:42 pm

Here’s a question… Given that there’s obviously plenty of people who want to be buskers, why does Translink limit the numbers so much? Why don’t we have buskers at every busy transit station?

Take a ride on the Paris Metro if you want to see a great example of encouraging musical culture!

• By cathy davis, January 15, 2010 @ 1:04 am

We came from Nanaimo Thursday morning for these auditions.
    I am very impressed with the process. All buskers were treated with courtesy and fairness.
    I felt that i was at a concert. There was not one act that wasnt well worth listening to. Kudos to Translink and the friendly buskers!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, January 15, 2010 @ 10:02 am

skytrainboy22: The auditions were for the TransLink busker program, which will provide additional busker licenses for the Games period.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, January 15, 2010 @ 10:07 am

Bryn: I’m not sure you’ve heard, but the program has been in a bit of limbo over the last little while owing to a large fee that SOCAN wanted, to cover the costs of playing copyrighted music in public. There’s a bit more detail in our press release, but essentially a SOCAN deal has been struck, the busker program will be revamped to incorporate it, and we do hope to share more musical talent with customers going forward.

• By Bryn, January 16, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

What about the countless musicians who just want to play their own music, not somebody else’s?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, January 18, 2010 @ 8:58 am

That I don’t know — perhaps they are exempt?
    Anyway, regardless of who has to pay the fee, buskers have always been licensed by the transit authority so they have permission to play. So we can’t just tell anyone who wants to play can just go ahead now — they still need to get a busker’s license from us, and that licensing program is getting a bit of a revamp.

• By josh, January 28, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

I have yet yo hear back about my audition and the licensing is supposed to be in 3 days. Does anyone know what the deal is?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, January 28, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

Hi Josh, I passed your comment along to the busker program, and they’ve let me know that they are contacting musicians this week as to the outcome of their audition. Hope you hear from them soon!

• By Meg, April 16, 2011 @ 11:19 am

I heard the buskers auditions for 2011- 2012 were supposed to be for mid april, yet I haven’t heard from anyone yet or seen any postings anywhere. Would you be kind enough to let me know when the next auditions are?

1. Twitter Trackbacks for The Buzzer blog » TransLink busker auditions are full as of 10 a.m.! [translink.ca] on Topsy.com — January 14, 2010 @ 9:48 pm