Links and tidbits for Thursday, July 22

Jason Vanderhill's Super Express train set at I Love Transit Night last week, dressed up to look like the Canada Line!

Tidbits and links! If you have any to suggest, or a photo to showcase on these posts, e-mail me at thebuzzer@translink.ca! I’m especially in need of good photos to showcase.

• By Frank, July 22, 2010 @ 10:47 am

I love these links and tidbit posts. Great work.

Speaking of covering up the old to make them better? A few years ago I walked into the new Sally Ann Store in New Westminster and was amazed to find that the build was a resorted streetcar depot. I mean I walked past what I thought was an old ugly non-interesting 1970s building many times without a second look, but after the resort found great building of history. They did have pictures showing the resort and if you walked inside you can see where the building is specifically designed to support streetcars (with an angled entrance to the street) and a lounge.

• By Elfren Ordanza, July 22, 2010 @ 4:34 pm

That picture really looks cool. I mean wow a train set that looks like the Canada Line now, wow. ^_^

• By zack, July 23, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

There’s an error on the link about Toronto’s next streetcar text message system.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, July 23, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

zack: Good catch. Fixed now!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, July 23, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

Frank: indeed, the Salvation Army was the old streetcar depot :) You might be interested in this past post, which talks about the interurbans running out to New Westminster — it doesn’t touch on the depot specifically but does provide info about the whole system and how it connected greater Vancouver together.

• By zack, July 24, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

Funny how that blog posted the picture of a bus on a route which no longer exists! For those who are familiar the 194 Zoo Rocket route was an express route between the Scarborough Town Centre RT and the Toronto Zoo. But it was later axed due to low ridership.

• By Andy (CMBC), July 28, 2010 @ 4:03 pm

I think you mean 80,000 instead of 8,000 more for the Golden Ear Bridge revenue.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, July 28, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

Oh, whoops!

1. Tweets that mention The Buzzer blog » Links and tidbits for Thursday, July 22 -- Topsy.com — July 22, 2010 @ 9:50 am