ALERT! :  More info

Links and tidbits for Wed Aug 25

Tidbits and links! If you have any to suggest, or a photo to showcase on these posts, e-mail me at thebuzzer@translink.ca. I’m especially in need of good photos to showcase.

• By Jacob, August 25, 2010 @ 9:05 am

I don’t get the video.
    How does that video encourage cycling?
    We could even make that video in Vancovuer!!!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, August 25, 2010 @ 9:36 am

Ah, it’s just an intro video. If you see the rest of the videos, they have profiles of people explaining why cycling works for them.

• By David M, August 25, 2010 @ 11:40 am

Hummm. Isn’t it a little hypocritical to be wanting traffic on the Golden Ears Bridge to be higher than expected? Shouldn’t Translink actually be happy that there’s less traffic than expected? I know it’s a cost recovery thing, but something strikes me as wrong when Translink thinks higher volumes of automobile traffic is a good thing.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, August 25, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

David M: I can see what you’re saying. But I’m not sure that the positivity unequivocally translates to “more traffic is always better traffic” on our part. It could just be that smarter traffic flows are better, especially in areas that don’t have super great transit options? I’m just thinking that the bridge does provide a faster, more direct link between the communities: before, people were driving up to 30 minutes out of their way to get across the river. In places like the GEB area where there aren’t necessarily a lot of useful transport alternatives, it might be unrealistic to insist that reductions in car traffic are the *only* measure for transportation success in the area (although don’t get me wrong, reductions in car traffic are certainly a good indicator!).

• By David M, August 25, 2010 @ 4:52 pm

Thanks Jhenifer – it just truck me as odd, but I understand your point. On another note, the link to Frances Bula’s blog is broken – just FYI.

Anyway – I really appreciate all the work you do on this blog and I generally support and appreciate a lot of the work Translink is doing too. It’s easy to criticize from an armchair, so hopefully it’s taken constructively and in the spirit of trying to help make Translink as good as possible.

• By Chris, August 25, 2010 @ 10:00 pm

Thanks for the BC Transport Action link – what an amazing site with great maps.

• By Eugene T.S. Wong, August 26, 2010 @ 12:37 am

It would be interesting if we made our own theme song to give ourselves a bit of identity.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, August 26, 2010 @ 9:10 am

David M: Gah – fixed the link! Thanks for the tip. Also, I totally understand where you’re coming from, and your analysis is always taken in a constructive spirit :)

• By Sally, August 28, 2010 @ 12:40 am

Loved the “links and tidbits” and really happy you got recognized by Aukland! Great work, Jhenifer!

• By Stef, September 17, 2010 @ 12:54 pm

Is the new smartcard project of Vancouver as expected as in Toronto? It seems to be a big challenge for the transport authority and a real change for Translink :-) Do you know who will be in charge of running the project at Translink?

• By Paul C, September 18, 2010 @ 3:06 am

@ Stef

It hasn’t been determined yet what system Translink will use.

But they have narrowed it down to three choices out of 10

Thales/Octopus International Projects, developers of Hongkong’s “Octopus” card,

Serco/Parkeon, which introduced a complete smart card system for Perth, Australia,

Cubic/IBM, makers of the “Oyster” card in London, England

The final decision will be announced this December.

If you would like read it here is the a link to the latest posted info from Translink

I’m not sure what system they use in Toronto.