Me, cycling towards a sparkling future!

A pretty big announcement for me today: I’m going on maternity leave starting April 29, 2011!

Yes, I’m expecting a baby in late May, so I’ll be temporarily away from my post as Buzzer editor and blogger for a year.

But that means, of course, we’ll need a replacement to take over the print and online Buzzer work, plus the other online communications advisory work I do for TransLink!

So: if you love the Buzzer, transportation issues, public transit, and you care about the future of our region—and you have extensive experience working in communications, print production and social media—please do apply!

Quite honestly, I think this is an incredible job, and I’d love to see someone take on this opportunity and build the Buzzer and TransLink’s social media work into something even grander than it is today.

Check out the job posting (it’s the one that says “Online Communications Advisor”) and get your application in. The posting closes on March 8, 2011, so make sure you do it soon!

Whoever will be hired will start earlier than April 29 and work with me for a while to get up to speed and learn how things work. And I’ll keep you all posted as we fill the job and move to a new Buzzer editor for 2011-2012 :)

Edit: Someone has mentioned having problems uploading their resume to the website. The web team has told me this is a known issue. Two things to try:
1. Check out the careers page System Requirements and FAQ to see if another browser etc might help.
2. And then if nothing works, email jobs@translink.ca – this is in the last FAQ.

• By Brooke L., February 22, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

Oh wow, congratulations!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, February 22, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Thanks Brooke :D

• By Holly, February 22, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

Congratulations, Jhenifer! All the best to you!

• By Graham Ballantyne, February 22, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

Yay! We’ll miss you, and congratulations!

• By Tim Choi, February 22, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

Congratulations Jhen! Your temporary successor has big shoes to fill!

• By zack, February 22, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

Wow, congratulations Jhen!! It’s sad to know that you’re leaving for a year, but all the best of wishes to you and your family!! :D

• By Cliff, February 22, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

Big shoes to fill indeed! Congratulations on your upcoming arrival!

We’ll all miss you!

• By ;-), February 22, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

Congratulations. We are going to miss you. You’ve done a great job keeping the dialog with translink.

Have you not considered working part-time from home? Kids aren’t cheap these days. I wonder if hospitals have wifi so you can run the show with your blackberry.

Have you selected a name for the little one? Are going to run possible names as a weekly poll?

• By Sean (CMBC), February 22, 2011 @ 4:04 pm

I agree with everything said above! all the best Jhen!

• By Ben K, February 22, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

Wowee..!! Congratulations, and all the best with bringing your brand new transit rider into the world. :D

You’ve done excellent work over the past few years as both transit afficionado, blogger and TransLink liaison; it might be tough to fill your shoes. Hopefully you’ll still be able to join us on here from time to time while you’re away!

-ben

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, February 22, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

;-): Thanks for the kind words, old pal. Unfortunately, there will be no Friday fun poll determining my future child’s name :D

Ben K: I’ll try to check in for sure! We’ll see how the leave progresses :)

• By Ed, February 22, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

Wow, great news Jhenifer! A new addition to the family is always a monumental part of anyone’s life, so I wish you the best of luck! We’ll all miss you, so stay in touch!

• By Jas, February 22, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

Wow, Jhen, since I haven’t already said so, CoNgRaTs!! and have a great Mat Leave! Course, you’ve still got a couple more months of work ahead – hopefully no heavy lifting though! : )

• By Jimbo, February 22, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

congrats! the b-blog won’t be the same w/out u!

• By Eugene T.S. Wong, February 23, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Congratulations, Jhenifer. :^D I wish you the best of success.

I only have 1 word of advice: pu-u-u-ush!

• By Jim, February 23, 2011 @ 10:16 am

Congratulations Jhen!
    Hopefully when the little one takes his/her first trip on transit you will share with all of us pictures and maybe a video! Theres bigs shoes to fill while you are away!

• By Ric, February 23, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

Congrats Jhen!

• By Andrew S, February 23, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

Congratulations Jhenifer! =)

• By Allan K, February 23, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

Hello! Congrats! That is fantastic news! I hope everything goes well =)

• By Jacob, February 23, 2011 @ 6:18 pm

Congrats, hope you the best.

I have a question about a bus I saw today at 5:40 PM southbound at Main and Kingsway: it said “to BC Rail Express” or some where along those lines.

• By Lorne Massena, February 23, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

Congratulations, Jhen! I also hope that you’ll check in here from time to time if that’s possible. And even though you’re not going to do a poll, I still thought it would be fun to pass along some possible names (well, if it’s a boy):

• By David, February 23, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

Congratulations Jhennifer!

From the photo you included with your announcement I can tell that you’re planning to return to the Buzzer Blog. Had you been retiring the photo would have shown you riding into the sunset ;)

• By CJ Stebbing, February 23, 2011 @ 11:49 pm

JHENN!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

i wish you, ur husband, and future child well!!!

i’s apply for the job…but i dono if id be good at it :p

• By Reva, February 24, 2011 @ 2:18 am

Congratulations, Jhen! What wonderful news! :D

Of course we’ll miss you while you’re gone, but we’re all really happy about your reason for needing time off. :) May you have the happiest, healthiest, cutest little transit-appreciating kid there ever was. Wishing you and your family the very best!

• By Sheba, February 24, 2011 @ 10:02 am

Congratulations! Do you know if you’re having a boy or a girl?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, February 24, 2011 @ 10:08 am

Sheba: No, not yet :)

• By Eric B, February 25, 2011 @ 7:08 am

Congratulations, Jhenifer! Please drop in with a guest post or two during your mat leave…

• By Tessa, February 27, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

Congradulations! I’m sure you’ll understand as a regular reader I’m both happy and sad to hear about the news, as it means we won’t be hearing from you so much. Good luck and I’m sure your child will have plenty of Translink toys and models to play with.

• By Donald, March 1, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

Congratulations, Jhen! Be sure to drop by every now and then. Parenthood is a very rewarding experience, just be sure to get some sleep. :) About the time you begin your maternity leave, my wife and I will be having baby number two. =D In your word, HUZZAH for all of us!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, March 1, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

Donald: Wow—congrats and huzzah to you too!

1. Tweets that mention The Buzzer blog » Apply to be the Buzzer editor & blogger: I’m on maternity leave as of April 29, 2011! -- Topsy.com — February 22, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

2. The Buzzer blog » Reminder: apply for my job! Posting closes March 8, 2011 — March 7, 2011 @ 8:01 am

3. The Buzzer blog » Farewell, dear friends! Jhen’s signing off for a year! — April 29, 2011 @ 9:01 am