ALERT! More info

SeaBus gets a new awning at Lonsdale Quay!

The new SeaBus awning!

Note: This is a scheduled post as I’m away this week, returning Monday April 11, 2011. If you need to reach TransLink info or staff, see this post!

SeaBus riders may have noticed that we installed a new awning at Lonsdale Quay last week!

The old awning was due for a refresh, as it was over 15 years old and still in the B.C. Transit colours. The new one has the modern SeaBus branding, plus a colourful new look. Hope you’re enjoying it!

The old SeaBus awning, now retired!

• By Tim Choi, April 6, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

*Like*

• By Swift, April 6, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

What happened to the old one?

• By James Aldama, April 6, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

I really love the new awning! It’s so much better than the old one! It looks so much modern and so new! :D
    Great picture you got there! :D

• By Robert W. White, April 6, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

Awesome! I’ve come to expect really great communication design/graphics from Translink over the past few years. It’s clear, it’s fun, and it’s identifiable. That said, I’m looking forward to the (hopefully improved) Compass when it comes out, along with other projects (livemap!)

• By Reva, April 6, 2011 @ 8:36 pm

Very, very nice job! I certainly don’t mind having to look at this new design for the next 15 years. :)

My compliments to the designer(s).

• By Ernest, April 6, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

The old one brings back so many memories… The first time when I was on the Seabus…

• By ;-), April 7, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Here’s an old photo when the bus loop was in the market and the seabus was a glowing orange to avoid collisions with landing float planes.

• By Eugene Wong, April 7, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Could somebody give us a bit of history?

Why was the seabus orange? Was it actually a safety issue, or is ;-) just joking, as I suspect?
    What was at the current bus exchange market?

• By Alan Robinson, April 7, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Looking at the new awning, I feel like the wayfinding aspects of the design (enter / do not enter signs, branding, etc.) have taken a back seat. The new design is cluttered. While the old design was dated, it still fit the space well giving clear wayfinding directions. In this particular location, the enterance to the seabus terminal is pretty obvious, and the image of the downtown waterfront is iconic, so not much is lost. However, as a rule, this type of decoration should be limited in the goal of getting people to their destination without hassle.

• By Allan K, April 7, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

It’s not too bad… yes maybe a bit cluttered… then again that’s a huge awning space that they have there….

Which also brings up a different point… Are there any plans to give the Seabus terminals a bit of a makeover? The last few times I’ve travelled through there, the terminal seemed a little gloomy… =S

• By Kerby, April 10, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

When did the SeaBuses lose their orange paint job we used to love them oh so much for?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, April 11, 2011 @ 11:58 am

I’m going to pass the SeaBus questions on and see if there are any answers. Will let you know soon!

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, April 15, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

Hi Kerby, Eugene, and Allan. I have some answers to your questions!:

Why was the seabus originally orange?

The original idea was to make them highly visible to other ships/tugs using the Harbour, since the SeaBus runs across the harbour it always crosses the path of other traffic.

What was at the current bus exchange market when SeaBus first launched?

It was an open lot, there was no ICBC building /Waterfront Park or Lonsdale Quay.

I believe it was around 1984, we then matched the colours of the rest of the vehicles.

Are there any plans to give the Seabus terminals a bit of a makeover? ≈The last few times I’ve travelled through there, the terminal seemed a little gloomy… =S

There are plans to update the washrooms and increase the lighting.

• By Eugene T.S. Wong, April 15, 2011 @ 4:22 pm