Links and tidbits is our semi-regular roundup of interesting tidbits and links about transportation from the last week or so. If you have links to contribute, put them in the comments, or email us!
- Can you imagine being on the Canada Line, when suddenly a lightning bolt strikes your train? That’s exactly what happened in Tokyo during a thunderstorm!
- We posted about this story during I Love Transit week here, but it’s too sweet of story not to share again! Nina and Jarred first met on a bus.. then got married on a bus two weeks ago! CBC News shares a heartwarming news article, with a video of the newlyweds describing how they first met. Congratulations to Nina and Jarred!
- A visitor from Utah rather enjoyed our Wayfinding maps at a Canada Line station and appreciated that it shows how far you can walk in time, not distance. Glad it was helpful, Jim! Thanks for sharing it on your blog.
- Buzzer reader Jacob De Camillis shared these two cool YouTube videos with us: titled “Steam Expo” from Expo 86’s “Steam Parade”. The video, which comes in 2 parts, Part 1 and Part 2, show some great footage of steam engines running alongside SkyTrain cars. Thanks Jacob!
- Researchers at Korea’s Advances Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) have developed a first of its kind technology in charging electric vehicles. They’ve developed a stretch of road with specialized electric cables designed to power batteries on a moving passenger bus!
- Here’s an interesting story about a fellow named Darius McCollum, who can knows the complicated New York City transit system inside and out, yet unfortunately became an transit imposter.
- YouTuber Welwyn22 shares this lovely video of one the brand new 2012 XDE60 Xcelsior buses on the route 49 from UBC to Metrotown.
- Imagine if we could travel from place to place in a flying hovercraft. Yahoo shares a list of 6 Futuristic Transit Ideas, as proposed by billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk. The New Yorker also hones in on the fascinating Hyperloop.
- Did you hear? Nintendo has fallen on hard times and are now forcing one of their beloved characters to take public transit. Here’s a cute Caption Contest, featuring Luigi on public transit in Chicago.
- Here is a video of a few clever ads from the Belgian Bus Company De Lijn promoting public transit. Cute penguins!
- Fellow Buzzer reader Michael also shared some videos about transit that he’s put together. Here is one titled Go the Distance, and another one called Bless the Broken Road. He has also uploaded many cool transit videos onto his YouTube channel, under the username ETBMichael. Thanks for sharing, Michael!