Fun poll: Where on transit do you like to sit?

Where do YOU sit?

Where do YOU sit?

I have a bit of a system for my daily commute and how I decide where to sit completely depends on the time of day and my mood.

But I always use what I developed living in Toronto and dubbed “subway science.”

Basically, I try and sit in the same relative area because it is the easiest to get off at whatever stop I’m going to. It’s not really scientific!

In the morning, I try to make things as easy as possible because I’m still half asleep.

I travel before the rush and head East instead of West so I usually get my pick of seats. Lucky, I know!

During these times, I try to snag a single seat near the back of the bus or car on the SkyTrain.

That way, I can zone out, doze in and out of sleep and get out of the vehicle without disturbing others.

However, I feel differently in the afternoons and evenings. I’m definitely more smiley and I feel chatty!

So, this is when I usually like to sit with a buddy. I’ll choose (if I have a choice) one of the double seats, sit on the inside, invite someone to sit beside me and see if they are feeling chatty too.

Sometimes they aren’t. And that’s ok!

On buses specifically, I often try to sit by the back doors so I can leave quickly and not get caught “swimming upstream” to the front door(s).

I know lots of people have similar habits or systems. So,where do you like to be on transit?

Let us know by voting for your choices below, leaving a comment, tweeting us @TheBuzzer, or emailing us at thebuzzer@translink.ca!
*You can choose two answers*

Where do you like to sit on transit?

• Back of the car or bus for some uninterrupted solitude (30%, 140 Votes)
  • As close to the doors as possible to make a quick getaway (26%, 122 Votes)
  • Single seats only! (19%, 88 Votes)
  • As far away from people as possible (15%, 68 Votes)
  • Near the driver to ask questions and see the road (6%, 27 Votes)
  • Buddy seats - perhaps for an adorable meet cute moment (3%, 15 Votes)
  • Around others to make conversation (1%, 4 Votes)

Total Voters: 366

Author: Adrienne Coling

• By Ric, April 20, 2015 @ 2:16 pm

Where I sit depends on the type of bus or skytrain car. I hate sideways seats though as it makes me feel sick so I always avoid it.

• By Big Ed, April 20, 2015 @ 9:36 pm

With my long legs (I’m 6ft 4in) I desperately need a seat with legroom or a long ride is agony. I think WestJet must design the seats on some buses! Some seats are a bit higher than others, and that makes a world of difference.

• By Adrienne Coling, April 21, 2015 @ 10:51 am

Thanks for your comments! Ric, I’m ok sitting sideways but sometimes the backwards gets me! Big Ed, great name considering your height! You like the higher seats and I can’t stand them! Basically because I’m 5’5 and some of them my feet don’t hit the floor all the way. I feel like a little kid! haha

• By Gennifer, April 21, 2015 @ 5:03 pm

I only voted once (single seats! I am not a people person) because my other choice wasn’t there, which is near windows. I live in Surrey, and very few of our buses have single seats, so I usually opt for the ones right in front of the back doors, behind the back doors, on those buses that have forward facing rows of seats in the back or right across from the back doors because those are the best windows to look out of. And I’m bad, I usually keep my bag on the seat next to me until I see the bus is more filled up because there is nothing worse for me than being the first person with a seat partner (especially someone who hasn’t discovered the shower/deodorant, wants to sit too close or wants to “chat”, whether it’s with me or their phone.)

• By Daniel, April 21, 2015 @ 6:51 pm

It’s all about the view for me. I want a window seat near the end of the window, but without one of the safety handle stickers at eye level. The portion of those stickers on the Nova buses is particularly annoying, blocking the direct eye level view from the seats.

• By ;-), April 30, 2015 @ 7:29 am

Always looking for a single seat… Easier for my plus size figure.

RSS feed for comments on this post.