Join thousands around Metro Vancouver and bike to work this fall! Bike to Work Week encourages both new and experienced riders to try cycling as part of their daily commute.
Cycling can be the fastest way of getting around, especially in more urban areas of Metro Vancouver. It’s also one of the healthiest and most enjoyable ways to travel.
HUB will be setting up over 30 celebration stations across the city offering free bike repairs, coffee, snacks and prize draws! Register and track your commute at bikehub.ca and be eligible to win prizes.
Each day that you log a trip you’ll be entered to win a new bike and you’ll help your organization win an organizational award.
And as always, our friends at TravelSmart will join in the fun and help out at the Celebration Station at King George Station on October 30. Swing by and visit their booth, and perhaps pick up some great bike goodies to take home!
Planning to hit the road with your two-wheeler for the first time? It can be a little daunting, but we’re here to give you a few tips on how you can get to work safely, on time and ready for work!
- Plan your route. Check out TransLink’s cycling maps, plan your trip using cyclevancouver.ubc.ca, or login and create maps of the routes you plan to take on HUB’s website.
- Park your bike. Find out where at your destination or workplace you can lock your bicycle.
- Be prepared. Dress accordingly, have a spare tube, pump, and tools, and plan ahead for showers, extra clothes, or extra time for a leisurely ride.
- Ride safe. Wear a helmet and always follow the rules of the road.
Let’s reach back into the Buzzer blog archives and grab some of our existing pointers for biking to work too!
- What to wear when you’re cycling
- How to take your bike on the bus!
- The bicycle diaries: five things I learned on Day 1 of Bike To Work Week
- Bike To Work Week: an interview with bike mechanic Mike Grant
- A guest post from Average Joe Cyclist, on how to get started bicycle commuting
- New cycling infrastructure opens at Main Street-Science World Station