Yes, you read that right. The first two of three brand new elevators will go into service at noon on March 24, 2017.
And hey, these aren’t just any old elevators! These two new speedy elevators are glass (and shiny!) which means you can see them coming and going. They will replace the single elevator that was at the station. Once the remaining elevator completes testing, commissioning and inspecting, it will also open. All elevators are expected to be open by May.
In addition to new elevators, the existing Compass readers will be replaced with permanent Compass fare gates.
This is a huge milestone for the station! The new central stationhouse will fully open, providing customers with a new permanent set of stairs (goodbye temporary staircase!), two more Compass Vending Machines, two elevators and a new entrance and exit out of the station.
With these upgrades, customers on the platform can take the elevator, new stairs or the emergency exit stairs on the west side of the station to access Central Boulevard.
- The Community Shuttle for passengers travelling with strollers will run until March 24 end of service. The HandyDART shuttle will run until March 31, an additional week after the first two elevators open.
- Customers requiring the use of an elevator are advised to use the wider accessible pathway from the station by using the east crosswalk at the mall parkade entrance.
- Remember to tap in and out at the fare gates to ensure you are charged the correct fare.
- Please note that there is currently no escalator access at the station, only stairs and elevators. Four new escalators (two up and two down) will open at the west stationhouse in the summer.
- We understand everyone will be excited to ride the new elevators! However, please be courteous and remember that there are customers who require the use of elevators and they will be getting used to the new station entrance and layout.
Not sure where to go? No problem! Our friendly Transit Security officers and SkyTrain attendants will all be on hand to help direct customers get where they need to go.
Visit our website for more information on the upgrades at Metrotown Station.
Author: Jessica Hewitt
We know that you are keen to get a good deal but we also want to make sure you get where you need to go smoothly on Boxing Day.
On Monday, December 26, there will be temporary changes to the way you access Metrotown Station.
What you need to know:
- We expect large crowds and we will change pedestrian traffic patterns, depending on the conditions.
- Customers should plan for additional travel time on the system and out of the station as we expect an influx of thousands of passengers on Boxing Day.
- You will tap in and out of the station as normally, to ensure you are charged the correct fare.
- Shuttles will continue to operate as elevator and escalators are out of service.
- Customers who require the use of an elevator or escalator are strongly encouraged to take the accessible shuttle from Patterson Station.
- Customers travelling with strollers or large bulky items should take the shuttle from Royal Oak or Patterson stations.
- Always follow signage and directions from traffic flaggers, SkyTrain staff and Transit Police
- Please travel up and down staircases slowly as we expect additional crowding on stairways.
**Please note: Depending on crowding, SkyTrain staff may choose to change pedestrian travel patterns.
Four flaggers will be at the crosswalks on Central Boulevard, additional SkyTrain attendants and Transit Police officers will be at the station to help direct customers to the mall and the platform.
We understand that this is a busy shopping and travelling day for our customers and we want to make sure the platform is cleared quickly to ensure crowding is kept to a minimum.
Have questions about boxing day plan? Tweet us @TransLink and ask away!
Author: Jessica Hewitt
Attention all shoppers!
We expect a significant increase of passengers at Metrotown Station accessing the mall for this year’s Black Friday sales.
To ensure the safety of all passengers and the public:
- Always cross at designated crosswalks and follow pedestrian signs, traffic signals and directions from traffic flaggers.
- Remain behind barricades at all times, and do not jaywalk or cut across the high-traffic bus loop.
- Be courteous to other passengers and vehicles.
- Make use of both exits at the station. The west exit only staircase is often less busy and is a quicker way to exit the platform.
We’ve added additional traffic flaggers to help pedestrians safety cross the street and more SkyTrain attendants will be at the station to help direct customers in and out of the station.
Customers who require elevator or escalator access can use one of the shuttles to connect to Metrotown Station.
The HandyDART and Community Shuttles that have been running since the elevator was taken out of service will continue to run until the new elevators are open.
The HandyDART operates approximately every 20 to 30 minutes between Metrotown and Patterson stations during the following hours:
- Monday – Friday: 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Saturday: 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Sundays and Holidays: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Passengers travelling with strollers can take the Community Shuttle to Metrotown Station from Patterson or Royal Oak stations. The Community Shuttle operates daily between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. every 20 to 30 minutes.
While both shuttles are running, service will run between Metrotown and Patterson stations approximately every 15 to 20 minutes.
Author: Jessica Hewitt