A heads up that SkyTrain will be replacing sections of running rail in the New Westminster area of the Expo Line over the next three weekends: November 7-8, 14-15, and 21-22.
The work will result in reduced train frequency and some delays east of Edmonds station.
A little background on the work
In the nearly 24 years since opening in 1986, the original Expo Line has seen close to three million trains (more than 10 million SkyTrain cars) travel over the tracks between Waterfront and New Westminster.
Sections of rail in the curve approaching New Westminster station are now due for replacement. Some additional sections will be modified to improve the ride quality in the curves between New Westminster and 22nd Street station. The work requires closure of one track at a time over a full weekend, from the end of service on Friday night, until the start of morning service on Monday.
What this means for you
So on the weekends of November 7-8, 14-15, and 21-22:
- At 22nd Street station, and on some occasions at New Westminster, trains will operate in both directions from a single platform. SkyTrain staff will be on hand to provide direction.
- Train frequency in the Edmonds-Columbia section will be reduced to every 16 to 18 minutes. Expo Line trains will wait for up to 7 minutes at one of: Edmonds, New Westminster, or Columbia.
- Millennium Line trains from VCC-Clark will run every 7 to 9 minutes, and terminate at Columbia. Passengers to/from the Expo Line must change at either Columbia, or Commercial-Broadway.
- Additional trains will operate between Waterfront and Edmonds, where both tracks remain in service. This will maintain near-normal frequency and capacity in the western half of the Expo Line.
- Canada Line operation will not be affected.
Passengers travelling within or through the Edmonds – King George section should allow an additional 15 minutes for their trip. We will do our best to minimize delays and inconvenience.
As always, we ask our riders to watch for signs, listen to announcements, and follow the directions of SkyTrain staff. Thanks for your patience and cooperation as we continue to maintain your SkyTrain system!
Reminder: Dunsmuir tunnel maintenance continues until mid-December
And in the meantime, just a reminder that evening maintenance in the Dunsmuir tunnel  continues most Monday through Friday evenings, through to December 11.
Service frequency between Waterfront and Stadium stations is reduced to every 12 minutes after about 9:45pm, although some exceptions apply during major events.