Oh my, how we’ve grown in 16 years!
TransLink and its operating companies are very proud of where we’ve been, where we are and where we’ll be able to go in the future.
TransLink is unique among North American transportation agencies by being responsible for a fully integrated transportation system across land, rail and sea.
Here are 16 things we’re very proud of:
1. Providing transit to hundreds of thousands of riders across the region every single day! Ridership is up 80 per cent since 2000 and passenger trips have grown by 127 million.
2. Opening the Golden Ears bridge . A one kilometre, six-lane bridge that crosses the Fraser River connecting Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows to Langley and Surrey.
3. Celebrating 35 years of SeaBus in 2012 and our brand new Burrard Otter II  introduced December 2014.
4. Creating the Central Valley Greenway  together with the municipalities that it runs through. That’s 24 kilometres for cycling, jogging, walking, wheelchairs, skateboarding and rollerblading!
5. Coast Mountain Bus Company’s continued work towards becoming more environmentally efficient. They have received a 2014 Corporate Leadership Award from the Canadian Urban Transit Association for facility upgrades that significantly reduced the consumption of electricity and natural gas and the associated emissions of greenhouse gases. They also were honoured with a 2014 TechGREEN Award  from Applied Science Technologists & Technicians of BC for reduced electricity and natural gas consumption. Annual greenhouse gas emissions were reduced by 531 tonnes or 7 per cent of its facility emissions.
6. Our fantastic customer service! From SkyTrain attendants and transit operators out on the system to Customer Relations and our number one Customer Information Twitter team !
7. Keeping our riders safe with Transit Police’s exceptional accessibility  with their On Duty app, See something, say something!
8. Being one of BC’s Top Employers  for 2015!
9. Finding $240 million in efficiencies  between 2012 and 2014.
10. Integrating the Canada Line to serve more than 122,000 riders on weekdays. More than 200 million passengers  have used the Canada Line since it opened five years ago!
11. Celebrating 25 years of SkyTrain! Our system is one of the most cost-effective light rail systems in North America , beating out Portland, San Diego, Los Angeles and New Jersey.
12. Spending over $145 million from 2012 and 2015 on Major Road Networks and cycling projects  across the region.
13. Serving 1.6 million people a day  on bus, SkyTrain, SeaBus and West Coast Express during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics!
15. To make it easier for cyclists to use and connect to the transit system, the entire bus fleet is equipped with bike racks .
16. Being a part of the new Evergreen  SkyTrain extension constructed by the province that will connect Coquitlam to Vancouver via Port Moody and Burnaby.
Want to know more about how TransLink came to be?
Read our story: The Road Less Travelled .
Author: Adrienne Coling