And hey, these aren’t just any old elevators! These two new speedy elevators are glass (and shiny!) which means you can see them coming and going. They will replace the single elevator that was at the station. Once the remaining elevator completes testing, commissioning and inspecting, it will also open. All elevators are expected to be open by May.
In addition to new elevators, the existing Compass readers will be replaced with permanent Compass fare gates.
This is a huge milestone for the station! The new central stationhouse will fully open, providing customers with a new permanent set of stairs (goodbye temporary staircase!), two more Compass Vending Machines, two elevators and a new entrance and exit out of the station.
With these upgrades, customers on the platform can take the elevator, new stairs or the emergency exit stairs on the west side of the station to access Central Boulevard.
- The Community Shuttle for passengers travelling with strollers will run until March 24 end of service. The HandyDART shuttle will run until March 31, an additional week after the first two elevators open.
- Customers requiring the use of an elevator are advised to use the wider accessible pathway from the station by using the east crosswalk at the mall parkade entrance.
- Remember to tap in and out at the fare gates to ensure you are charged the correct fare.
- Please note that there is currently no escalator access at the station, only stairs and elevators. Four new escalators (two up and two down) will open at the west stationhouse in the summer.
- We understand everyone will be excited to ride the new elevators! However, please be courteous and remember that there are customers who require the use of elevators and they will be getting used to the new station entrance and layout.
Not sure where to go? No problem! Our friendly Transit Security officers and SkyTrain attendants will all be on hand to help direct customers get where they need to go.
Visit our website for more information on the upgrades at Metrotown Station.
Author: Jessica Hewitt