**UPDATE** Due to snow and ice, this work for February 5 to February 8 is cancelled. Work is set to begin on February 13 if weather permits.
An important part of delivering transit service to the region is keeping our system in a good state of repair.
Sometimes that means rewiring trolley wires, station upgrades, bus refurbishments, rail work or a variety of other necessary maintenance projects.
The Running Rail Replacement Project on the Expo Line will begin on February 5 to February 8 and February 13 to February 15 starting at 9:30 p.m. as part of the SkyTrain Rail Asset State of Good Repair Program.
So far, we’ve replaced 15,013 linear metres of running rail!
- 800 linear meters west of Main Street Station (1997)
- 1,575 linear meters between 22nd Street and New Westminster Stations (2001)
- 1,506 linear meters between Waterfront and Burrard Stations (2001)
- 1,282 linear meters between Main and Stadium Stations (2003)
- 1,200 linear meters at the curve west of Broadway Station (2006)
- 1,400 linear meters at the OMC Gatehouse curve (2008)
- 1,500 linear meters at the curve west on New West Station (2009)
- 1,200 linear meters at Edmonds outbound curve and OMC2 inbound curve (2011)
- 1,650 linear meters at OMC2 outbound curve and Edmonds Station inbound curve (2015)
- 2,900 linear meters at Broadway Station “S” curve (2015)
During this phase, we will be replacing 5,000 linear metres of running rail at four main locations close to Metrotown, Main Street–Science World, Stadium–Chinatown and Waterfront stations.
What to expect
Due to the complex nature of scheduling this required maintenance project, we will complete this work in various phases at each location.
In order to complete this work, single tracking will occur around where the work is being done.
To help customers get where they need to go during this time, SkyTrain will also be slightly modified.
- From 9:30 p.m. until the end of service, Expo Line trains will be single tracking (trains travel on the same track in alternating directions) at Main Street–Science World and Commercial–Broadway stations.
- During this time Expo Line trains will only operate between Waterfront and King George stations. There will be no Expo Line trains to Production Way–University.
- Expo Line trains between Columbia and Production Way–University stations will be temporarily replaced with Special SkyTrain Service trains operating between New Westminster and VCC–Clark stations.
- Passengers from other stations on the Expo Line can change trains to this service at New Westminster and Columbia stations.
- Millennium Line and Canada Line will operate normally.
We will provide more specific information on upcoming work and how this may impact your travel as the project continues into June 2017.
**PLEASE NOTE** This work is weather dependent. Please check the Alerts page for updates.
Thank you for your patience as we work to keep the Expo Line safe and reliable for years to come.
For more information on the Running Rail Replacement Project visit On Track.
Updates to single tracking will be posted to Transit Alerts.
Have questions? Ask away!
By phone: 604.953.3333
Author: Adrienne Coling