Retired trolleys in blue, orange, green, and red!

Our retired trolleys have been painted in new colours to serve the transit system of Mendoza, Argentina!

Jorge Luis Guevara from Mendoza, Argentina has passed along a few more photos of our retired Flyer trolleys, painted in bright new colours! They’re being prepped for their debut on the Mendoza system, which I’m told is approaching. (I’ll ask about the exact date and let you know when that happens, of course!)

As always, check Jorge’s blog for more photos and video of our retired trolleys in their new home.

And here’s a few more photos of the trolleys — click for larger versions!

Here are the past articles on our retired trolleys:

• By Bryan, April 3, 2009 @ 3:49 pm

Why is there a wheelchair symbol on the green trolley?! Did they actually install a ramp or something?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 3, 2009 @ 3:51 pm

Jorge said they did install wheelchair lifts actually. Although, in the green bus picture on the far right, you can still see a pole in the centre of the front door space. Maybe it’s not the same bus though.

• By Dan B, April 4, 2009 @ 5:22 pm

It looks like those Flyers are still sporting our BC Transit headsigns, although the numbers are mismatched to the destinaitons. One of them shows “U.N.CUYO”. I’ve never seen that destination on a bus before, and I read the head sign lists they used to post inside the bus.

Jhenifer, do you know what that destination means and when/where it was used?

On that topic, now that I’m thinking about it, do you know if there’s a list of the old headsign destinations from the manual rollers they used in the trolleys? I never though of taking a picture of the list when I was riding one of those old Flyers. It was neat to see where they used to go and what kinds of routes they had in the 80s.

• By k.c., April 7, 2009 @ 8:02 pm

I actually miss these trolleys, couldn’t we have given them a major refit ourselves just like what they’ve done?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 8, 2009 @ 8:54 am

Hi k.c.,

In the first post on the retired trolleys I actually talked about this a little bit. We retired these Flyer trolleys since they weren’t accessible to those with mobility issues: the buses all had high floors and poles in the middle of the doorways. As you might know, we are committed to making the whole fleet accessible.

As well, after 25 years and 1.2 million km on the road, the trolleys had extensive wear and tear that cost us too much to fix and maintain.

So sorry they’re not out there any more — but on the plus side, we have new trolleys that spend more time on the road instead of the shop, and are cheaper and less time-consuming to maintain!

• By k.c., April 10, 2009 @ 12:02 am

ahhhh, that makes sense. thanks for the explanation!

• By Alberto, April 14, 2009 @ 6:38 pm

Hi i’m from mendoza (Argentina) and I very exited about these new troles (as we called it here).

I read that someone said something about the U.N. Cuyo destination, this it actually a destination here so they may have changed your old destinations

• By Mike, April 29, 2009 @ 10:10 pm

In Mendoza they’ve annouced that they are rolling out the New Flyer fleet 5 trolleys at a time per day, starting tomorrow, thursday April 30, 2009. They didn’t have spare e-fare machines to install onboard so they will just take them from the retiring german buses. As it takes a fair bit of time to get these properly installed and secured (theft is rather rampant in Mendoza lately) they believe at most 30 of the Flyers that are ready will be out on the streets within the next two weeks. Tomorrow there should be plenty of photos.

• By Mike, April 30, 2009 @ 9:03 am

Well, lots of things got decided overnight, today 25 of the flyers with or without the fare machines were sent onto the streets. The provincial governor asked for the trolleys that didn’t have the fare machines to pick up passengers for free.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 30, 2009 @ 9:09 am

Mike! The news about the launch is great. I’ll wait for some photos to come in so I can post about it on the blog. Where are you hearing about all the updates? Is there a link I can look at?

• By Mike, May 2, 2009 @ 1:08 am

I’m a regular snowbird that winters in mendoza sometimes to be with family. I follow the local news pretty closely, and the trolleys just happened to spark my interest, as back here in Edmonton, we are about to lose our trolley service this morning.