Emily Carr and SkyTrain launch Between Spaces, a public art project!

Doug Kelsey, CEO of the B.C. Rapid Transit Company, speaks at the launch of Between Spaces, a collaborative public art project with Emily Carr University. The installation behind him is Same Soup Different Flavour: 100 Pairs of Converse Shoes by Krista Jahnke.

From now on, look for some lovely public art in Burrard Station and the Waterfront West Coast Express Station!

<i>Release</i> by Ami Sangha.

Release by Ami Sangha.

The installations are part of Between Spaces, a new collaborative public art project from Emily Carr University of Art + Design and the B.C. Rapid Transit Company (they run Expo and Millennium Lines, and West Coast Express).

The whole project has been in the works for months, and launched today with a ceremony at Burrard Station.

Six projects from 2009 Emily Carr graduates are showcased in the stations, with artist statements nearby so you can learn more about them.

So where did this whole project come from? Well, the idea for the collaboration came from the B.C. Rapid Transit Company, who wanted to help make our stations into great places that our communities can be proud of.

They brought the idea to Emily Carr’s new Faculty of Culture and Community, and Between Spaces is the result. The project will continue for a year, with an opportunity for a one-year extension. They’re really hoping to bring more art to more stations, too!

Here’s where to find the pieces, plus some more photos of the installations!

Burrard Station

• Release by Ami Sangha (artist statement): found along the up escalator
  • pressed (impressed) by Shauna Davis (artist statement): found along the down escalator
  • Dancing Dog Bear by Lesley Anderson (artist statement): found on the platform level
  • Same Soup Different Flavour: 100 Pairs of Converse Shoes by Krista Jahnke (artist statement): on the ticket level, you can’t miss it!
  • Canning the Coast by Adria Lipsett (artist statement): on the other side of Krista Jahnke’s installation, facing the courtyard behind

Waterfront Station (West Coast Express)

• Women’s Newspaper Portraits by Josan Pinon (artist statement): is installed around the elevator
Krista Jahnke being interviewed by CBC about her artwork.

Krista Jahnke being interviewed by CBC about her artwork.

Ami Sangha, one of the Emily Carr grads showcased in Between Spaces.

Ami Sangha, one of the Emily Carr grads showcased in Between Spaces.

<i>Canning the Coast</i> by Adria Lipsett, facing the courtyard behind Burrard Station.

Canning the Coast by Adria Lipsett, facing the courtyard behind Burrard Station.

<i>pressed (impressed)</i> by Shauna Davis. My photo does not do it justice at all!

pressed (impressed) by Shauna Davis. My photo does not do it justice at all!

<i>Dancing Dog Bear</i> by Lesley Anderson.

Dancing Dog Bear by Lesley Anderson.

Josan Pinon with her work, <i>Women's Newspaper Portraits</i>.

Josan Pinon with her work, Women's Newspaper Portraits.

• By ;-), September 30, 2009 @ 6:06 pm

I think the artwork add’s some dimension the interiors rather than barren walls or advertisements.

Perhaps the showcase should have been in the new Canada Line stations.

• By Shane, September 30, 2009 @ 7:07 pm

It is fantastic! I was so thrilled to see the art along the escalators at Burrard – and, I hope this will be an ongoing relationship with Emily Carr.

I would love to see some permanent installations in the stations in addition to some rotating work.

Thanks for adding some soul to the transit system.

• By Tsushima Masaki, September 30, 2009 @ 9:14 pm

I guess I’ll have to visit downtown this weekend to check out the new artwork.

Are there any plans for InTransitBC to follow suit?

• By zack, September 30, 2009 @ 11:06 pm

I think it’s good idea to put these artworks on most areas of the station (except) the escalators. I sometimes feel a little dizzy climbing these seemingly endless escalators. Though not as long as Granville Station,it could be still a distraction, especially if you’re climbing up.

I also think these artworks should be put more into good use on the Canada Line,since it’s more underground than the other SkyTrain lines.

Btw, I love the “Dancing Dog Bear” by Lesley Anderson, very amazing,unique and quite humorous too. It certainly tickled my funny bones. :)

• By Cliff, October 1, 2009 @ 2:42 am

This is great. I’m not an artsy person myself, but I like the idea of dressing up the stations a bit. A lot of cities around the world consider their metro stations to be a bastion of art and from everyone to benefit.

It’s simplistic, yet effective. Having people exposed to the arts in this fashion probably does more for art than any museum could ever do.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, October 1, 2009 @ 10:35 am

Well, the Canada Line will have art some months from now: from May 2010 to Sept 2010, new media art installations are planned at 13 Canada Line stations as part of the Vancouver Biennale.

I’m not sure about the longer term plans to put art in the Canada Line stations though: I’ll send a note over and see if there’s anything in the works.

• By SkyTrainLady, October 1, 2009 @ 11:43 am

Hi Zack: One tip about the art on the walls along the escalators. Try looking at the art on the wall across from you – and not beside you – i.e. if you are on the “up” escalator, look across at the art on the wall above the “down” escalator. Hopefully that helps!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, October 1, 2009 @ 12:12 pm

(Btw, SkyTrainLady is Jennifer Siddon, the communications liaison for BCRTC :)

• By zack, October 1, 2009 @ 12:38 pm

Wow! what a high profile response! :D
    Thanks SkyTrainLady(Jennifer Siddon), I’ll definitely try out that tip. :)

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, October 1, 2009 @ 1:16 pm

I just didn’t want you to think SkyTrainLady was somebody random :)

• By zack, October 1, 2009 @ 2:03 pm

Sorry, my mistake :)

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, October 1, 2009 @ 2:05 pm

Wow, we’re using a lot of smileys in this thread.

Let’s go for broke!

:) ;) :) :-) 8) :^) :P :D

• By Paul Albrighton, October 1, 2009 @ 2:55 pm

Wow! What a great idea! I love the new improvements to Vancouver’s transit system.

• By Anonymous, June 19, 2010 @ 3:33 am

All opaque aerobes (events) reported during these surgeries were reinfected as uncoated reactions.

1. The Buzzer blog » Art in Transit: a new art showcase from Emily Carr University and TransLink — March 7, 2011 @ 4:51 pm