Friday fun post: 1937 Buzzer trivia

If you like, skip to the end of this post to try the 1937 Buzzer trivia.

Last week’s post: ever used the Sunday/Holiday group ride offer?

Last week’s fun post asked if you had ever used our Sunday/Holiday group ride offer.

(The offer: if you have an adult FareCard, West Coast Express 28-Day Pass, or Annual Employer Transit Pass, you can take five children, or one adult and four children on transit with you for free.)

And after 137 votes, 55% said they had used the offer, while 45% said they hadn’t. (So maybe you can try it out one of these days, 45%-ers!)

As usual, the comments were full of insight. Some said they had no trouble using the offer and quite enjoyed it. For example, here’s Steven.

I have a monthly pass and my partner travels free on a Sunday and holiday. It would be great if other cities would do this to encourage more public transport usage.

We’ve never had any problems using it as a same sex married couple of different ethnic backgrounds which says a lot about the city we live in.

And here’s zack, who found out about the offer while on the system.

A couple of months ago I was traveling with my parents on a Sunday, and we were just boarding the bus when suddenly the bus driver asked if “we were a family of three?” and we said “yes”. My Dad had a three-zone pass, I had a concession pass, and my mom was paying the regular fare. So the bus driver told us about the family pass program and said that mom can ride for free. We were shocked! To make sure, we called TransLink’s customer service for info and if such a program exists. And they said “Yes!”.

However, others said that they encountered issues when trying to use the group ride offer. Mike M‘s comment sums it up well:

I first read the monthly pass group ride policy in the Buzzer and have used it a dozen times or so in the last year, always for me and a friend. PLEASE Coast Mountain Bus Company..be sure ALL your drivers are aware of the policy. Twice I was told it was for families only and 2 adult men couldn’t use one together. Made me feel a bit like a fare-evader, even though I wasn’t doing anything wrong.

Yikes — sorry Mike. Well, to be clear on this, the policy is NOT just for families: friends can be taken on board as part of the offer. I’ve passed this thread on over to CMBC so they can help clarify the policy for operators who might not know.

And to follow up on a few questions raised in the comments: yes, you can use this group ride offer on WCE if you have your 28-Day WCE pass. Also, you can’t take five adults with you as part of this offer — you can only take one adult plus four children, or five children. Adults can’t be substituted for kids in this offer.

This week: 1937 Buzzer trivia

Last year I ran this trivia item in one of the print Buzzers. Hopefully not too many of you have solved it before!

Click to see a larger version!

Click to see a larger version!

I’m sure you guys will figure this out in a flash, anyway. Answers next week!

• By Dave 2, October 16, 2009 @ 11:58 pm

I can get all but 3, even though I’ve seen the answers before. Pendrell? Pender? Inkcheque?

• By ;-), October 17, 2009 @ 7:28 am

I spent 30 minutes staring at this with #2 being the hardest.

1. Granville
    2. Bella Vista? Could it be South West Marine?
    3. Pender
    4. Sasamat
    5. Hastings
    6. Columbia

• By CJ Stebbing, October 17, 2009 @ 11:07 am

I think 2 is grandview….considering the man is saying its a swell (grand) view….GET IT? Lol. Bab pun there. Sorry.

1. Grandville
    2. Grandview
    3. Pender
    4. Sasamat
    5. Hastings
    6. Columbia

And I don’t live in Vancouver :p. Take that olympics! Lol

• By zack, October 17, 2009 @ 12:43 pm

Geesh!! This took me close to an hour to figure. I gotta admit I’m not an expert on this but I’ll give it a shot

1.Granville
    2.Grandview (You know like the picture has a grand view!)
    3.Pender
    4.Sasamat
    5.Hastings
    6.Columbia

• By Cliff, October 17, 2009 @ 2:30 pm

I was thinking Seymour (see-more) instead of Grandview.

• By CJ Stebbing, October 17, 2009 @ 7:43 pm

sorry zack, i beat u to that joke….lol

and cliff….it cant be because of the speech bubble in #2…lol

• By Mark, October 19, 2009 @ 8:48 am

These are great! I could only get a few I especially liked number 4.

1. Granville
    3. Pendrell?
    4. Sasamat
    6. Columbia

• By Donald, October 20, 2009 @ 2:02 pm

The only one I got on my own was Columbia lol.

• By zack, October 20, 2009 @ 6:31 pm

Arghhh!!! I got all except for 2! Does anybody what “Swell!” means?

• By CJ Stebbing, October 23, 2009 @ 1:03 am

Wasn’t this published in the print buzzer a few months ago in back issues….I think the answers were upsidedown.

And PS. Do I get a prize? Ill take a free monthly three zone pass please….lol

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, October 23, 2009 @ 9:30 am

CJ: Yep, as I mention in the post, this puzzle was published in the print Buzzer last year. Sadly, no prizes are on offer, except for the reward of solving it :)

• By CJ Stebbing, October 23, 2009 @ 12:01 pm

Aw man! I was really hoping there was….aw well….I got them all so yay :p

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, October 23, 2009 @ 12:02 pm

Well, I thought about it, and I’ve kind of reconsidered. Just wait and see when the next Friday fun post comes out this afternoon :)

1. Twitter Trackbacks for The Buzzer blog » Friday fun post: 1937 Buzzer trivia [translink.ca] on Topsy.com — October 16, 2009 @ 4:31 pm

2. The Buzzer blog » Friday fun post: have you thought about your Olympic travel plans? — October 23, 2009 @ 6:00 pm