Links and tidbits about the Olympics and transit so far

Crowds wait for Millennium Line trains at Commercial-Broadway Station on Friday, February 12.

We’re four days into the Olympics and of course I have some assorted tidbits and links to share.

• By ericmk, February 15, 2010 @ 1:21 pm

I find it very interesting how other people highly rate our transit system. We vancouverites should take the time to see how wonderful it really is. Oh, Jhen, I have a question: In the picture of Commercial-Broadway, there is barbed wire surrounding the skytrain track. Why cant there just be normal fencing, like they have for the washington dc metro (where I grew up)?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, February 15, 2010 @ 6:03 pm

Where’s the barbed wire? I’m not sure I see it — maybe I’m going blind!

• By ericmk, February 15, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

The barbed wire is at the bottom of the station, close to the train (not skytrain) tracks. It also follows the length of the track through the grandview cut separating the skytrain with the other (not skytrain) tracks.

• By Duncan, February 16, 2010 @ 9:12 am

Thanks for the link!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, February 16, 2010 @ 9:44 am

ericmk: Hmmm… well, those are CP tracks. Tentatively I’d guess that it’s to prevent people from climbing over into the track area and getting hit by the freight trains. When I’m out there I’ll have a look and see who I might ask about it!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, February 16, 2010 @ 9:47 am

Oh wait, I see it!
    It is likely to stop people from getting into electrical/train stuff under the station. Not sure why barbed wire is needed but perhaps there are some rather sensitive things in there?

• By Anonymous, February 16, 2010 @ 10:34 am

Those tracks are actually BNSF, not CP

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, February 16, 2010 @ 10:40 am

Oops. OK, BNSF tracks!

• By Cliff, February 16, 2010 @ 2:47 pm

Think of the people local to the area around the station. That’s why barbed wire was used ;)