Check it: you can embed the TransLink trip planner on your website!

Look: we’ve just launched a new widget to let you embed our trip planner on your website! That’s the trip planner widget from our homepage right above this paragraph!

You can grab the code here if you’re interested. It could be really handy if you have a site for your store or business, or an upcoming wedding or conference or other events, and want you to give your guests a way to plan trips easily. Or if you just want the trip planner on your site somewhere, go ahead!

The regular-sized widget is shown above, but there’s also a narrow version. Here it is below.

• By Michael, April 9, 2010 @ 9:43 am

That would be so much more useful if there was a way to set the destination in code.

I imagine this being used by local businesses who would want the destination field pre-populated with their address. As is, I don’t really see this being very useful.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 9, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

Point well taken! I’ve passed this on to our web team and they are discussing how to do this.

• By Karen Ramel, April 9, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

Actually a trip planner site/whatever would oh so be appreciated which would actually work on my windows mobile 6.x samsung omnia phone.

As it is NOW, the mobile link doesnt seem to offer what a desktop computer has access to.

What I NEED, is somewhere online/app? where I can enter trip details/dates and return trip options (like the desktop accessible internet site option). Being able to send the output of any trip to my cell via text or simply having it avail on the screen to capture the text for trip guidelines would be great.

NOTHING I’ve found yet seems to work. Google Maps and their transit option area do not provide dates/times on trips which correlate with details provided via phone/website. Very odd.

I do not have an iphone.

• By emily, April 9, 2010 @ 11:23 pm

Speaking of widgets: any chance there is an upcoming, still-being-designed Translink trip-planner widget for Windows Sidebar? Wishful thinking, maybe…thought I’d throw it out there! :)

• By Cliff, April 10, 2010 @ 7:00 am

I came in here to bring up the exact idea Michael did. Great minds think alike!

Apart from being able to have the destination already filled in, would be to have the arrival time also done so as to aid people hosting events.

A drop down list of the major exchanges in addition to being to type in your own departure point would be handy too. All too often, people looking for information will already be at or near a major transit exchange and having this ability would be great for mobile people to save time.

• By ;-), April 10, 2010 @ 10:17 am

Hi Karen,

I don’t own an iPhone either, but my Blackberry does work well with the mobile trip planner and I’m able to set date options to plan my trips.

For starters, is your Samsung browser set to “mobile” or “desktop” view. It makes a huge difference between the trip planner analyzes your browser setting and enables/disables Java. Sorry I’m not on Windows Mobile to see what your screens are exactly.

• By Steven, April 11, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

I agree with others, a widget such as the ones available on the London Transport site would be much more useful as a customer of translink http://www.tfl.gov.uk/widgets/

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 12, 2010 @ 9:31 am

Thanks all! I’m going to pass your suggestions on to the web team as well.

Karen: just wanted to check — are you accessing http://tripplanning.translink.ca on your mobile browser? Not just the mobile site at m.translink.ca? Hope I’m not telling you something you already know, but the trip planner has been optimized for mobile phones, and I just want to make sure you know it’s an option. If you’ve already tried it and it doesn’t work, let me know!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 14, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

Hi guys,

Here’s some answers to your questions from our web team.

Basically, the “Going to?” text is generated by javascript on our end (i.e. not in the widget). The javascript is written to clear that text once you click into the field. If we removed that text, there would be no descriptive copy to tell the user what goes in which box, in addition to the fact that clicking into the box would just clear the field anyway. What was created was pretty much “one for all” code. It’s not custom written to accept users’ parameters. The page (Trip Planner) lives on our site and simply lives on 3rd party sites as an i-frame – so the behind the scenes code and whatnot lives with us. We would have to auto-generate custom code for each user in order to get this to work.

Right now there isn’t a way we can pass destination parameters into the i-frame – we need to fix/rebuild the widget in the backend in order to get this functionality. But we are aware of this “problem” and that it’s on the “to-do” list for this year. (Woohoo!)

Also, we do have code that will allow a user to link through to a pre-populated Trip Planner page, like we do with the Destinations to Discover section of the site: http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire?.a=iTripPlanning&End=111%20Some%20Address

If I wanted to create a pre-populated (Step 1) Trip Plan to “Chinatown”, the code would read

I’m going to add this URL snippet to the widget page (sometime this week) as an extra piece of info for developers or anyone who might want to link to pre-populated Trip Planner, as an interim solution until the widget is updated.

• By ;-), July 3, 2010 @ 9:52 am

I wonder if Translink will ever run into this problem…..

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, July 7, 2010 @ 4:37 pm

;-): Wow! I kind of hope so, and hope not — huge traffic is great, but I’d hope our system could handle it.