The April Buzzer is now out!

The April 2010 Buzzer is now on all buses, SeaBus, SkyTrain, and West Coast Express!

Did you notice that the logo has changed, and there’s a new swoosh? It’s an updated look to match the rest of our printed materials and our website. The Buzzer blog will eventually transition to the new logo too.

(The swoosh on the newsletter will go all the way down to the edge in future issues — we’re still getting used to it!)

The issue’s main feature is on the first Great Rides bike ride of 2010, which is a Bike the Blossoms event on Saturday, April 17, 2010. It’s a great excuse to get on your bike and explore the cherry blossoms in Vancouver!

There’s also a lovely story about a grade four class whose field trip was rescued by our transit service, an interview with a CMBC maintenance planner who happens to be a childrens’ book author, and travel info for the Sun Run and BMO Vancouver Marathon. Plus there’s info about the new Coast Meridian Overpass, which opened in Port Coquitlam just after the Olympics!

And there is info on the new fares starting April 1: and please note that we got the concession FareCard price wrong! The price is actually $46.50!

As always, we are happy to have a cover from a local illustrator: this time it’s Tobias Ottahal. Super job Tobias, and sorry the colour wasn’t pink for the blossoms!

If you can’t get the Buzzer on the system, you can always read it in PDF form on our website. Visit our Buzzer PDF archives. (Here’s the direct link to the April issue PDF.)

Remember to enter the FareCard contest too! You can win a free FareCard in every issue of the Buzzer: read the issue, then email in your info and the answer to the trivia question by Thursday, April 22 at 9 a.m. — we’ll pick a winner from all the correct answers.

Enjoy the latest Buzzer as always! Comments are welcome below.

• By amc, April 2, 2010 @ 10:47 am

Really like the new look of the buzzer. Looking forward to seeing how the blog will look once updated too.

• By ericmk, April 2, 2010 @ 11:02 am

The new Buzzer look is awesome! I especially like the implementation of the swoosh that TransLink seems to like at the bottom! Can’t wait to see it on the blog! But I have a question: What is the little black thing in the “u” for?

• By ;-), April 2, 2010 @ 11:55 am

Typo…. the Bike the Blossoms is on Saturday (Earth Day), not Sunday as in the blog.

• By zack, April 2, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

Aha! Now I have some idea of how the new Buzzer Blog will look like.
    @ericmk: The little black thing between the u is a bee. You know, “bee” “buzzer” get it? lol :)

• By ;-), April 2, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

Oops… Earth Day in Vancouver is the 24th….. I’m looking forward to editing my comments in the future.

• By Langdon, April 2, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

No service improvements??

• By Sean (CMBC), April 2, 2010 @ 8:18 pm

The next round of Service Adjustments won’t happen until May 3rd…
    With the Olympics, the “Spring” sheet adjustments got pushed back until May 3rd…

• By Dave 2, April 3, 2010 @ 8:34 pm

When I first started taking buses in Victoria in the mid-late 70s they had the “Read The Buzzer” containers… but they never had anything in them.. It wasn’t until I moved to Vancouver that I actually saw a”The Buzzer”… apparently the Victoria Buzzer was discontinued in the ’60s but the old buses still had the containers….

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 6, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

Yep, as Sean said, the next round of service adjustments won’t happen until May 3, so look for all the service change info in the April 30 Buzzer.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 6, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

;-):
    I fixed the typo. Saturday!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 6, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

Dave2:
    Yep, Victoria seems to have discontinued their Buzzers in about 1966, then it made sporadic appearances in the decades following.

• By Meraki, April 15, 2010 @ 10:13 pm

What’s the thingy in the middle of the ‘U’ in Buzzer?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 16, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

Meraki: It’s a bee.

• By Sean (CMBC), April 16, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

If you are looking for any suggestions for later editions of the Buzzer, I’d love to see/have more info about the $5 YVR fee…

And, although we don’t publish the Discover Vancouver On Transit booklet anymore, I’m sure you could publish a few suggested trips/destinations from time to time, like how to get to Capilano suspension bridge, or Lynn vally Park for example… Maybe a different region each edition? The north shore one month, then maybe Richmond-South Delta one month, etc…

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 16, 2010 @ 3:03 pm

Sean: What information are you looking for on the YVR fee? Just as a reminder to folks? I’m pretty sure all the info on the fee is in this post.

• By Sean (CMBC), April 16, 2010 @ 3:10 pm

I was driving a #620 this past week, and had numerous requests for eithre a flyer, or some sort of printed information… I tried explaining it as best I could but many were confused by it, and some were quite upset that they paid it while some didn’t…
    Even on the bus, the fare info posted behind the driver is incorrect! It states the fee is only $2.50 and charged BOTH going into and out of YVR, shich of course they decided to only charge those as they leave YVR…

• By Sean (CMBC), April 16, 2010 @ 3:11 pm

I apologize for the few spelling mistakes…

• By Sean (CMBC), April 16, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

And, while we haven’t had any new Public Timetables printed since the YVR $5 fee came in, I sure hope that it is mentioned in the new May timetables… At least those that have Canada Line information already in them, like the Richmond-South Delta booklet…

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 16, 2010 @ 3:43 pm

Aha. I know we produced a YVR handout flyer as well so I’ll see if we have copies left and if I can get that to you in the meantime. Thanks for the suggestion!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 19, 2010 @ 1:17 pm

Sean:
    Just an update — I’m told that the incorrect fare info cards behind the driver’s seat are being replaced! Hope they get to yours soon.

1. Twitter Trackbacks for The Buzzer blog » The April Buzzer is now out! [translink.ca] on Topsy.com — April 2, 2010 @ 9:06 am

2. The Buzzer blog » Take a Great Ride and see the cherry blossoms in Vancouver, Sat Apr 17 — April 14, 2010 @ 9:01 am

3. The Buzzer blog » The February 2013 Buzzer and illustrator interview — February 8, 2013 @ 12:45 pm