Transportation links and tidbits for Wednesday April 7

A photo of a 1925 B.C. Electric observation car from our archives.

A photo of a 1925 B.C. Electric observation car from our archives. Click for a larger version!

I found this picture above in our Buzzer archives and thought it would be a good photo to share in this tidbits post! The B.C. Electric observation cars were big draws for people wanting to see the sights back in the day. Can anyone tell me when they went away or why? (Seriously, I don’t know the answer.)

And one more thing before the tidbits: I just want to let you know that I’m at a conference called F5 Expo today, learning more about social media and the web for our organization. I’d love to say hi if any of you are in attendance—find me through the Buzzer’s Twitter account!

And finally, here are the links and tidbits!

• By Dave, April 7, 2010 @ 9:08 am

Why? To sight-see, natch :-) I’m not sure exactly where it went, but it most likely was dependent on where there were streetcar tracks…

• By Andrew S, April 7, 2010 @ 9:15 am

Wasn’t there a Pacific Coach bus sightseeing tour thing too? (On a previous post) Maybe that replaced the sightseeing train. Then more and more people got cars. =D Then we all know what happens after =P

• By Reva, April 7, 2010 @ 7:29 pm

Here’s a neat article by historian Chuck Davis about the BCER observation cars and their most famous operator, Teddy Lyons: http://knowbc.blogspot.com/2009/09/vancouvers-open-air-streetcar.html

The observation cars stopped running in 1950. They sadly had to go, as did the rest of Vancouver’s streetcars, during BC Electric’s conversion of the streetcar system to a trolleybus system. This took place from 1948-1955, but on the bright side, it gave us the wonderful trolleybus system we still have today.

• By Deano, April 8, 2010 @ 12:05 am

Dave is correct. The BC Electric sightseeing car ceased after so many streetcar lines had been discontinued that it was no longer possible to operate a comprehensive tour of the city.

• By Steven, April 8, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

Another link of interest this week is the re-opening of the East London Line. Looks like they have done a brilliant job, it was my lifeline for many years in its less modern days. http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/things_to_do/newsid_8604000/8604842.stm

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 8, 2010 @ 3:12 pm

Ah, that should have been obvious—of course they went away when the streetcars did. You need tracks!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 8, 2010 @ 4:48 pm

Steven:
    I remember being in London when they started moving the East London line from underground to overground. Glad to see it complete! Hopefully it won’t be a lonely tail for long :)