Come hear me talk about the Buzzer with the Vancouver Historical Society, Thu May 27

The Buzzer logo from 1936!

The Buzzer logo from 1936!

The Vancouver Historical Society has kindly invited me to give a talk about the Buzzer next week, on Thursday May 27!

If you’re interested in attending, here are the details from the Society’s Events page:

Thursday, May 27, 2010
7:00 -7:30 p.m. Annual General Meeting
7:30 p.m. Stories from the Buzzer
Speaker: Jhenifer Pabillano

These gatherings take place in the Museum of Vancouver, located at 1100 Chestnut Street at 7.30 pm. Enquire at the Museum desk for directions to the room.

Distributed on public transportation across Vancouver for 94 years, the in-house publication, the Buzzer, became Vancouver’s unique window to the past. Started in 1916 to keep people informed about public transit, it also served to foster rider loyalty to their streetcars in the face of competition by ‘jitney’ operators who patrolled streetcar routes offering competitive rides for five cents. Although ‘jitney’ service was abolished in 1918, the Buzzer became a mainstay of Vancouver public transit with its array of interest facts and anecdotes and became a tally sheet of change throughout much of the City’s history.

Wish me luck! Perhaps I’ll see some of you there :)

• By Karen, May 21, 2010 @ 10:16 am

Any hope of recording your presentation and putting it online? I’m happy to volunteer to do so if you or VHS are up for it :)

• By Ric, May 21, 2010 @ 10:25 am

I might come. Where is this Museum located? I know the street is listed but I want to know the city it’s in.

• By Robert, May 21, 2010 @ 10:46 am

In Vancouver on Kits Point, west of the Burrard St. Bridge. The museum is behind the iconic crab sculpture and is joined to the planetarium. Closest bus stops are for the #22 route at Cornwall and Cypress. Walk 5-10 minutes mostly north and slightly east from there.

• By peter, May 21, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

yes — please tape it — I wish I could attend your presentation. The video should *definitely* be a feature of the buzzer blog

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, May 21, 2010 @ 12:54 pm

Karen, Peter: Hmm, nobody mentioned recording it! But I think the VHS might really like that, and it would be lovely to share with everyone. I’ll send your note along to the VHS and see what they think.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, May 21, 2010 @ 2:09 pm

Karen: I’ve just heard back, and the VHS is happy to let you record the presentation! Many thanks for volunteering to do such a thing. I will loop you in on the e-mail chain so we can hammer out the technical aspects.

• By ;-), May 21, 2010 @ 8:13 pm

If you can record it in 1080 HD (not VHS tape please) and upload it to YouTube…. that will really make it historical. ;-)

• By Dave 2, May 21, 2010 @ 9:49 pm

Um, I think VHS stands for Vancouver Historical Society, not Video Home System (… though maybe you knew that, ;)