Kids ride free for Walk to School Week, Oct 4-8, 2010

Elementary and secondary school students can ride transit for free during International Walk to School Week on October 4-8, 2010!

While the event’s called Walk to School Week, the overall theme is really about discovering alternatives to private automobiles, so in 2007, TransLink announced an ongoing commitment to the week.

High school students need to show their GoCard to ride free, but elementary school students don’t need any special identification for the free rides.

And all students can take the chance to explore the transit system and learn how to navigate around Metro Vancouver on transit!

If you’re a teacher, you can definitely take the opportunity to use transit for field trips. But we encourage you to take your classes on transit between 9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., to avoid the heavy commuter times on the transit system. As well, please register your field trip at travelsmart@translink.ca or 604-216-3299 to help avoid scheduling issues with other classes. I’m told that classes who register are eligible to win a set of TravelSmart coat tags for their students.

Anyway, to make a long story short: we’re pleased to support International Walk to School Week! Enjoy yourselves on transit!

• By vicki wong, September 28, 2010 @ 12:18 pm

I hv question regarding golden ears bridge. I would like to register to use transponder but user account set-up only accept visa/mastercard as method of payment. I hv american express or debit. Is there no other option of payment that would allow me to set up an acct for registered transponder user?

• By Ric, September 28, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

Do post secondary students who don’t have a u pass get to ride free if they show their student card?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, September 28, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

Ric: No.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, September 28, 2010 @ 1:25 pm

Vicki: I’ve passed your question along to the Golden Ears folks for an answer—hopefully we will hear back soon.

• By Peter, October 3, 2010 @ 6:57 pm

so i could ride anywhere for free on those days with my go card? Last year when i tried using it to go home from school the bus driver said you can’t. I came to school on the bus with a go card and i can’t go home with it. LOL

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, October 4, 2010 @ 9:35 am

Peter: yes, if you have a valid GoCard, you are eligible for free rides from Oct 4-8, 2010. Not sure why you weren’t allowed back on the bus: feel free to report this in our customer feedback form.

• By Elfren Ordanza, October 4, 2010 @ 11:35 am

YEEESSSSSS !!!!! Another week of no bus pass but a GoCard.! :)

• By Tony, October 8, 2010 @ 9:04 pm

I am a high school student, I forgot my GoCard on the Canada line today. I was caught by Police, and he gave me a ticket of fine $173. Can I dispute it?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, October 12, 2010 @ 11:51 am

Tony: Hmm! Well I guess you can always dispute a ticket, so you can do that and see what happens. But I don’t have any answers as to whether you would win or not!

• By Karin, September 22, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Can we use seabus, skytrain or westcoast express for free that week?

• By Corli, October 12, 2012 @ 9:21 am

Both my kids take the bus to school. We did not hear of this free offering. Anyway my kids paid their fares with concession fare tickets and not a word was mentioned by the bus drivers. What is with that……..Could have used the break….

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, October 12, 2012 @ 10:27 am

Hi Corli,

I agree with you that some bus operators should be more forthcoming with riders about the week. I can tell you that we’re reviewing the program right now. I would like to capture your thoughts so they can be tracked with our Customer Info department.

Could you please either fill out a form here – http://bit.ly/2m3ieY or call customer relations at 604.953-3040 Monday to Friday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Please ask to be followed up with.

Thanks for the comment!

• By Adrienne Coling, June 6, 2016 @ 10:24 am

Hi all,

Starting today, June 6, 2016, Customer Relations (CR) and Customer Information (CI – the folks on Twitter!) are merging into one call centre.

This means when you call 604-953-3333 you will still get transit information, but you can also leave feedback at this number as well.

Thanks!

1. Tweets that mention The Buzzer blog » Kids ride free for Walk to School Week, Oct 4-8, 2010 -- Topsy.com — September 28, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

2. Oct 4-8: Free Transit Rides for Students in BC - Canada Samples Forum — October 2, 2010 @ 5:29 pm

3. Fieldtrips | CanadianLisa — October 26, 2010 @ 3:09 pm