Friday fun poll: have you used an electronic fare card on another system?

A collection of smartcards! Photo by Joe Mazzolla.

Since we’re asking you to submit names for our future electronic fare card, here’s a fun poll about the cards!

Have you used an electronic fare card on another system?

• Yes! (76%, 124 Votes)
  • No! (24%, 40 Votes)

Total Voters: 164

The obvious follow-up question is “How many cards have you tried?” (My answer is one—I used the Oyster Card extensively in London in 2006!)

• By Bryn, October 15, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

Sydney, Paris, London, Atlanta…

• By TK, October 15, 2010 @ 5:19 pm

I’ve used Seattle’s Orca, Singapore’s EZ-Link, Bangkok skytrain/subway cards and Hong Kong’s Octopus. My favourite is the Octopus as I can use it to pay at McDonald’s and 7-11.

• By Cow, October 15, 2010 @ 6:45 pm

Three that I can think of: Orca in Seattle; Opus in Montreal/Quebec City; and Suica in Japan / JR East.

I don’t know if the MetroCard in NYC counts — it’s more of a swipe card that stores value than the smart-card system — but if so, four.

• By Cree, October 15, 2010 @ 10:37 pm

Tokyo’s Pasmo card. I’m glad Pasmo and Suica got chummy and it interchanges between the Tokyo Metro and JR East network.

when Translink implements the electronic cards, ditch the 90 min fare system, and 3-zone map.

• By Ric, October 15, 2010 @ 10:42 pm

I have used the octopus card in Hong Kong. I also like their smart card system a lot as I can use the card to pay for items at convenience stores such as 7-11 and pay for food at MacDonalds as well as for transit fares.

• By M, October 15, 2010 @ 11:23 pm

London’s Oyster Card. It’s brilliant!

• By Sally, October 16, 2010 @ 12:20 am

I’ve used the Oyster card and Montreal’s Opus card. They are both great, you just have to remember to tap your Oyster card when you exit or you get charged for the full zones. In Montreal I accidentally paid for a week’s pass for a week when I wouldn’t be there, but that was just my misunderstanding of the system!

• By Phil, October 16, 2010 @ 11:43 am

Montreal’s Opus card. Great name by the way, I have a weak spot for puns lol

• By Paul C, Vancouver, October 18, 2010 @ 2:15 am

Haven’t had a chance to use a smart card on another system. In fact the only other systems I’ve used is London, Paris and Toronto. Toronto and London were back in 1992 and Paris was in 1985.

• By Jean, October 18, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

I lived in Toronto for over 2 decades. They had electronic swipe fare card, for a very long time.

Not sure if the fare card has a brand name.
    But it works for both the customer and for TTC at their automatic fare gates.

• By Rob @ cmbc, October 18, 2010 @ 1:25 pm

I have used the Bip (pronounced beep) card for Santiago, Chile’s metro. I’ve also used one on the Valparaiso – Vina Del Mar metro, but, unfortunately, cannot remember its name.

• By Ryan, October 19, 2010 @ 12:26 pm

Yes, I use my Oyster card when I travel to London. I’ve had it for a few years now and since I go back at least once a year, it is very handy to get around.

• By Andrew S, October 19, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

None! =D

• By ericmk, October 19, 2010 @ 6:25 pm

I’ve used four- Washington DC’s SmarTrip, Seattle’s ORCA, Maryland’s CharmCard, and recently Toronto/Ottawa’s PRESTO card. However, I’ve only actually owned a SmarTrip and an ORCA card. The others I’ve borrowed from friends!

• By andrew k, October 23, 2010 @ 1:02 am

i’ve only used the Metro Card in LA
    one thing i liked about it was that you could load it at any metro station or bus

1. Tweets that mention Friday fun poll: have you used an electronic fare card on another system? -- Topsy.com — October 15, 2010 @ 5:19 pm

2. The Buzzer blog » Fun poll results: 76% have used an electronic fare card on another system — October 22, 2010 @ 5:37 pm