Links and tidbits, Tue Jan 11, 2011

Daryl Claudio took a picture of all his saved transit passes and tickets, collected since 2006! Sent in via Twitter.

A roundup of interesting tidbits and links about transportation from the past few weeks or so!

If you have any items to suggest, or a photo to showcase on these posts, e-mail me at thebuzzer@translink.ca! (Seriously: photos. Send them to me!)

• By Sewing, January 11, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

Funnily enough, the last of those eight unusual transit systems—Morgantown PRT and our very own SkyTrain—share something of a common heritage: they’re both implementations of the concept of automated guideway transit, a major area of transportation funding and research back in the 1970s.

Morgantown (a college town in West Virginia) opened its system in 1975, built with federal funds as showcase of “personal rapid transit”; but it became a one-of-a-kind system. Detroit caught the tail end of this initiative when it opened its People Mover—using the same technology as Vancouver’s SkyTrain—in 1987.

As for SkyTrain, its Intermediate Capacity Transit System technology was developed in the late 70s by Ontario’s UTDC, using many of the same principles as Morgantown’s and other systems: lightweight, frequent, fully automated trains running on a dedicated guideway.

• By Patrick M., January 11, 2011 @ 5:42 pm

Geez, thanks Jhen, and here I was sitting down to try to be productive on the computer, you’ve just given me twelve open tabs with things to read…

• By geoff, January 11, 2011 @ 8:21 pm

just wondering what ticket it is on the 4th down, 2nd to right?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, January 12, 2011 @ 10:21 am

geoff: I’ll send this to our FareDealer dept to confirm, but off the top of my head I think it’s a DayPass.

• By daryl claudio, January 12, 2011 @ 10:34 am

@geoff @jhen

that was a pass that was given out during major events (this particular one was a lions game) so you don’t have to use the automated ticket vendors. you pay/prepay a transit dude with cash and they give you a ticket for the night.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, January 12, 2011 @ 10:36 am

geoff: Aha! It’s an Event Transfer Ticket! Here’s what my colleague said:

The Green Pass in the middle is an Event Transfer Ticket. We issue these at the stations during ie hockey games when there are a ton of people on transit for an event.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, January 12, 2011 @ 10:39 am

(Ha ha: looks like we posted the answer almost simultaneously :)

• By geoff, January 12, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

thanks guys :-)

• By bob, January 13, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

My collection dates back to Nov 1990! Sadly, I am missing several.

Pics: http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7177/mycollectiong.jpg

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, January 14, 2011 @ 10:38 am

Nice photo Bob! Can I use it on the next Links & Tidbits?

• By bob, January 14, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

Jhenifer, that would be awesome!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, January 14, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

Consider it done :)

1. Tweets that mention The Buzzer blog » Links and tidbits, Tue Jan 11, 2011 -- Topsy.com — January 11, 2011 @ 3:49 pm