The January 2011 Buzzer is now out!

The January 2011 Buzzer is now on board all buses, SeaBus, SkyTrain, and West Coast Express!

This issue talks about the 25th anniversary of SkyTrain, which we’ve been celebrating on the blog since December 11! There’s a short article about the opening, historic SkyTrain photos and memorabilia, a small set of trivia puzzles, and an updated list of SkyTrain “astronomical facts”!

(Btw: YES, I mixed up the answers to questions 1 and 3 in the trivia section. But luckily the answers are so distinct that you can figure out which is which!)

We’re also urging our customers to vote on the smart card naming contest, and to apply to attend the BC Youth Summit on Sustainable Transportation.

Plus our history tidbit is the InfoBuses that rolled around before the SkyTrain launched, dispensing info about the new integrated train-bus-SeaBus system!

Again, we are happy to have a cover from a local illustrator: this time it’s Allison Koberstein. Nice work, Allison!

And if you can’t get the Buzzer on the system, you can always read it in PDF form on our website. Visit our Buzzer PDF archives, or grab this direct link to the January issue PDF.

Remember to enter the FareCard contest too! You can win a free FareCard in every issue of the Buzzer: read the issue, then email in your info and the answer to the trivia question by Wednesday, January 27 at 9 a.m.. We’ll pick a winner from all the correct answers, and that person will be notified by phone shortly after the draw.

Enjoy the latest Buzzer as always! Comments are welcome below.

• By Gary, January 14, 2011 @ 10:19 am

Hi Jhenifer,

There is an error in the Jan 2011 Buzzer. In the section “How much do you know about SkyTrain”, the assertion is made that Columbia and Scott Road Stations opened in Mar 1990. That’s not the case. Columbia Station opened first sometime in Feb 1989.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, January 14, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Gary: The official SkyTrain book I have here says they opened March 16, 1990! Can you find a verified date for the 1989 opening?

• By Gary, January 14, 2011 @ 11:06 am

Have a look at the Feb 24 1989 Buzzer that’s available on your website!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, January 14, 2011 @ 11:24 am

Gary: Can you point out where? I can’t find a reference to Columbia in the Feb 23 1989 Buzzer — it only talks about the centennial celebrations.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, January 14, 2011 @ 11:48 am

Gary: Aha — the Feb 10, 1989 issue says the station is open on Feb 14! Well, maybe the “official launch” was held on March 16, 1990 then. I’ll ask my SkyTrain contacts and see if that snafu can be cleared up.

• By Gary, January 14, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

Jhenifer, Going on my long-term memory, Columbia opened first with the stretch from Columbia to Scott Road delayed because the SkyBridge wasn’t ready yet. The delay had something to do with being unable to install all of the pilings for the bridge. Whoever wrote your official book is definitely wrong

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, January 14, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

Thanks Gary!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, January 14, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Oh, and just to confirm again that you are right, here is the response from SkyTrain.

Hmm…. I could say that you’re both right but I think I have to give this one to Gary. Columbia station was part of the Phase II project and that is what’s noted in the book. The reason that Gary is correct is because Columbia station actually opened first in Feb. 1989 and Scott Rd opened in March 16, 1990. This is sort of similar to the Sapperton-Commercial phase. We started regular weekday service to Sapperton and Braid in January but the full Millennium Line didn’t operate till Aug. of 2002.

I’m gnashing my teeth that I put the wrong date into the Buzzer though. That trivia section is getting to be a bit of a bust!

• By Ian S., January 14, 2011 @ 10:27 pm

The opening date for Braid and Sapperton stations was not December 31, 2001. It was January 5, 2002, the first day of service on the initial stretch of the Millennium Line, which served only those stations.

• By Alan M, January 15, 2011 @ 5:47 am

Hi Jhenifer,

Since we are correcting stuff…. Scott Road opened on the 16th of March, not the 6th. Sorry :(

PS – Thanks for choosing one of my photos! :)

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, January 17, 2011 @ 10:07 am

Ian S: Well, again, that date came from the SkyTrain facts book I have — I’ll double check with SkyTrain to see where the discrepancy is!

Alan M: Argh — that one was a typo. Rats!

• By Allison Koberstein, January 17, 2011 @ 11:31 am

Hey Jhenifer! I saw them on the SkyTrain a few days ago, how exciting!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, January 17, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

Allison: excellent! Your illustration looks great.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, January 17, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

Ian S: Arrr — well, I’ve confirmed with SkyTrain that you are right on this one too! Jan 5, 2002 was the official start of Braid – Sapperton service. *shakes head*