Links and tidbits for Thu Feb 24, 2011

Buzzer pal Tim Choi is building a model of the new SeaBus, the Pacific Breeze. Here's how the cabin looks so far!

As usual: tidbits and links about transportation from the last few weeks or so!

If you have any items to suggest, or a photo to showcase on these posts, e-mail me at thebuzzer@translink.ca! (Seriously: photos. Send them to me!)

• By Jordan, February 24, 2011 @ 10:50 pm

Wow! Don’t know why it’s necessary to have monthly passes for the new upasses! Getting it once per term is a hassle enough. The rate increase seems fine but Ubc/Translink had better have a more efficent way of picking it up.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, February 25, 2011 @ 10:09 am

Jordan: As far as I know, the monthly pass item is to help stop U-Pass fraud that goes on out there. For example, some people sell their U-Passes to people who resemble them: so if there’s a monthly pass requirement, the passes would be at least invalid/suspicious after a month, instead of possibly evading detection for a whole year.

• By ???, February 24, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

Check out this great video of a cyclists hitting a car (1:40).

Too bad the firetruck can’t get to the idiot.

• By Elfren Ordanza, February 25, 2011 @ 8:25 am

Wow that looks so cool. If it were to be a good copy of the new SeaBus, then people would have one of these for free. <— Just saying.

• By Steven, February 25, 2011 @ 8:46 am

The most interesting story I’ve read this week is the overcharging on London’s Oyster card. Passengers were overcharged a total of £61m (CDN $96m) in 2010 alone. The system there is quite complex and passengers (like me) continue to be confused about the payment structure. The most annoying part is Transport For London are not identifying those who need a refund, they expect passengers to log on to the account online or get a printout of their journeys from a station. This is not good PR for TFL. Even though Vancouver is small in comparison to London it would be interesting to see over the coming years how Translink address this with their smartcard system.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, February 25, 2011 @ 9:52 am

Steven: Very interesting! I’m going to send that along to our smartcard team.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, February 25, 2011 @ 10:17 am

???: Ouch: that’s rough! I think any time there’s a traffic collision that’s pretty awful.

• By Cliff, February 25, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

The video of the Edmonton trolley in Vancouver was really exciting for me to watch. As a little added bonus, the sign that was displayed in the video says “Strathcona” the neighbourhood I currently live in! (Which I’ll take the opportunity to point out is very walkable and interesting to discover!)

When I was very young, I had the opportunity to visit Edmonton and I rode on one of the trolley buses. (Maybe that specific one, who knows?) As a young child riding, I was already a fan of BC Transit and I was amazed that there could be different TYPES of trolley buses. This was a major experience that helped shape my enthusiasm for transit.

I moved to Edmonton when I grew older, but never took the time to ride the trolley buses out here again. A decision I would regret as the city decided to do away with them.

I’ve just moved back here, and although I didn’t get to share the road with them very much, the city feels more empty without them. Crossing the high level bridge and giving a bus room on the sharp tight turns just isn’t the same without the poles and wires.

I might get involved with the transit museum when I get back out there. I do carry a class 2 licence and I would very much like to try my hand out at driving a trolley bus.

• By Cliff, February 25, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

The fault of the accident in the news report was clearly the fault of the pickup truck driver. There are signs warning one to watch for cyclists from the right if the movement is allowed, however, most if not of the alleys along the bike lines are exit only. There are dual no entry and no right turn signs prominently displaying this fact. In this particular scenario, the cyclist was 100% in the right and there was no way to expect that a vehicle would have entered illegally and hit him.

Hey, I may have my opinions about the lanes and cyclists, but I calls em as I sees em!

I see this as a result of bad design as much as I see it as the fault of the pickup truck driver. They were shoehorned in without much thought about vehicle traffic or proper separation between cyclists and vehicles.

• By Jas, February 25, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

I totally want to build a Lego Seabus at the same scale, to rival Tim! Ships ahoy, matey!

• By Tim Choi, February 26, 2011 @ 11:15 am

If you do, Jas, I would recommend a larger scale – mine’s in 1/350, which gives it an overall length of a mere 9.5cm – around equal to 12 Lego studs, I think? Not much room there to represent many of the angular and curved features.

If you need plans/drawings for the Pacific Breeze, let me know – thc10@sfu.ca

• By ;-), March 5, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

Stumbled across this Skytrain video

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, March 8, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

;-): That’s awesome!

1. Tweets that mention The Buzzer blog » Links and tidbits for Thu Feb 24, 2011 -- Topsy.com — February 24, 2011 @ 2:09 pm