Watch for TransLink COO Doug Kelsey out on the system on Wed, Mar 2, 2011

Doug Kelsey, TransLink's chief operating officer, out helping customers during the Olympic period!

This Wednesday, March 2, 2011, look out for Doug Kelsey, TransLink’s chief operating officer, out riding the system!

It’s a little project we’re trying out for the first time: sending our executives out on the system to talk to customers, ask for feedback, and answer questions.

Doug will be starting out at Waterfront at 9:30 a.m., then roaming the system a bit for about two hours (he’s planning jaunts onto buses, the 99 B-Line, and SkyTrain). You’re invited to submit your questions in advance via the blog here!

On the day of Doug’s ride, you can follow his progress via our Twitter feed: Erin McConnell, our manager of corporate communications, will be tweeting periodically from the TransLink account to keep everyone posted on his travels. At that time, you can also send in questions on the go through our TransLink Twitter feed. And of course, if you send any through the blog, I’ll pass them forward.

After Doug’s ride on the system, I’ll have a wrap-up interview here on the blog, so you can find out more about what he’s heard from customers and what he plans to do next.

And as always, feel free to offer your feedback on this initiative as it unfolds. We want to hear your thoughts on this project and how it’s working or not working for you!

Edit, Friday March 4, 2011: Doug’s Q&A after his ride has now been posted!

• By James Aldama, February 28, 2011 @ 6:16 pm

I wish I could see him in person on the SkyTrain. I have some questions for him…

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, February 28, 2011 @ 6:19 pm

Well, feel free to submit them here in advance if you like!

• By Rob, February 28, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

I have one question for him:
    What on earth are they doing to deal with the 49 Metrotown/UBC Route. This is still one of the most overcrowded, unreliable, multi-passuped route in the entire city. One minute it’s fine, the next I’m passed up two or three times and forced to take a taxi to my next leg to not be late for work for the 7th or 8th time. And this is with giving myself an extra 30 mins leeway every day! This has been ongoing for years since UPASS at Langara was started and every action has been tiny bandaids on this route.

Make him ride the 49 UBC when there are no articulated buses between peaks, if they’ll even let him on!

-Mad as hell

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, March 1, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Rob: thanks for the question! Sent along to Doug now.

• By Steve, February 28, 2011 @ 11:24 pm

This is more to do with the picture posted above – it appeared Mr. Kelsey had an OIAC (accreditation card). I thought transit hosts/employees didn’t have OIAC? I also see that he had access to the Olympic Family Area (Code 6), which is surprising given his credential was in the OCOG category.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, March 1, 2011 @ 9:08 am

Steve: I’m not sure what an OIAC card means! But Doug wasn’t just a transit host during the Games — he was one of the chief liaisons with the Olympic organizing committee’s transportation side, so I surmise he had special accreditation to let him participate in meetings and stuff.

• By Torinor Vansens, March 1, 2011 @ 9:23 am

Hi,
    I would like to know why it is always so hot on buses in winter. Usually riders wear their winter clothes, and there’s no real need to crank the heat – it makes the ride unbearable.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, March 1, 2011 @ 9:50 am

Torinor: I think it often depends on the type of bus you’re on and the default settings for the vehicle! Don’t be afraid of talking to the driver and letting him or her know that the heat is uncomfortable though. Sometimes they really don’t know how everyone’s feeling and can then make an adjustment. On the 99 I’ve definitely seen drivers respond and turn the heat off, especially on the super new hybrid buses that get very hot along the middle seats.

Wait — was that a question for Doug? I will pass it along to him too :)

• By Sheba, March 1, 2011 @ 10:17 am

I’d like him to ride transit during rush hour and to know what a sardine feels like, or late at night after the Skytrain has shut down…

• By Last351, March 1, 2011 @ 11:59 am

I would like to know what the plans are to improve passenger comfort on the 99 B-Line between now and when the UBC Skytrain is completed? If I have the extra time, I ride the #9 from Commercial to Alma to avoid:
    1) waiting in long lines breathing in 2nd hand smoke
    2) having to stand the whole way (esp. if I’m traveling from Alma) “packed like a sardine”
    3) people who don’t have access to showers and/or mental health services

The 99 is a “rapid bus” and needs Skytrain-style amenities, capacity and security.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, March 4, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

Last351: Got an answer for you here from Erin McConnell.

The answer on this one is that right now we’re in a tough spot in the sense that we don’t have additional funding to add buses. Instead, we’re optimizing service by taking it from areas that are over-served or where our service is under-utilized, and moving it to routes like the 99 which is very much in need of additional service.

We can tell the person that the changes are coming in April and that as far as passenger comfort, we’ve seen great participation about etiquette in social media channels and we’re looking to leverage that in a fun way this summer, so stay tuned!

• By Steve, March 5, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

OIAC = Olympic Identity and Accreditation Card

1. The Buzzer blog » Q&A with Doug Kelsey, TransLink COO, after his trip on the system on March 2, 2011 — March 4, 2011 @ 11:49 am