Service changes start this Monday, December 3, 2012!

The 555 ExpressBus ready to hit the road from Carvolth Transit Exchange

Break out the bugle and sound it from the rooftops! It’s time for the December service change, the last of our four annual tweaks to transit service.

The biggest change is the introduction of the 555 Port Mann ExpressBus, the first bus service over the Port Mann Bridge in 25 years! A number of other routes are shifting slightly to connect people to the 555 at the new Carvolth Transit Exchange.

Also starting on Monday:

• The return of the #5 Robson/Downtown bus and the N6 West End NightBus to their regular route, travelling through the re-opened Robson Square on the 800 block of Robson Street (Robson Square).
  • The #134 Brentwood Stn/Lake City Stn bus will return to its regular route along Delta, as construction in that area has come to an end.

For all the details about what’s changing, visit our Transit Service Changes page. We’ll also have our holiday schedule up in the near future.

• By Alex, November 30, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

Just a heads up, I’ve noticed in the printed timetables for Vancouver Book 1 that the Downtown Vancouver map incorrectly shows the reroute of the #5 Robson via Pender and Burrard.

• By Alex, November 30, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

I forgot to mention that I’m referring to the new timetable booklet effective December 3, 2012.

• By Donald, December 1, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

There is more than enough room to fit a stop for the 555 in both directions at 156th St., just move the concrete barriers over to create a protected walkway, add a pad, and done. I drove there this morning, the shoulders for the onramp are unnecessary since the offramps pretty much have no shoulders.

• By kk, December 2, 2012 @ 8:48 pm

Who wants to pay money for the 555 and sitting on the Port Mann Parking Lot? Give me a break.

• By Stefanie Lee - Buzzer Contributor, December 4, 2012 @ 9:48 am

Hi kk,

What was your experience with the Port Mann Bridge? From what I’ve heard, yesterday morning’s 555 schedule was 22mins. Tina was on the ride yesterday, check it out here.

• By Paula, December 3, 2012 @ 11:23 pm

I took the 555 this morning. I am absolutely thrilled! Saved 15-20 minutes. I used to go to King George station. I am hopeful that it will be even better tomorrow at Braid and no one track business going on. The bus seats are comfy. It felt like a movie was going to start when bus was leaving kiss and ride. Thumbs up to Translink and taxpayers and Langley township for making this happen. 5☆s

• By Eugene Wong, December 4, 2012 @ 12:09 am

@ Translink

When we hover over the links for the PDF schedules, the tool tip says that they are for September.

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, December 4, 2012 @ 10:54 am

Alex: Thanks for the note. We’ll look into it!

Eugene: I’m not sure I follow. When I follow the Transit Service Changes link and go to one of the schedule .pdf’s they say “View Timetable”. Maybe it’s been fixed already or you’re referring to something else?

• By Eugene Wong, December 4, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

@ Robert

I see that I wasn’t clear. I meant the schedules-by-region page.

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, December 4, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

Eugene: Oh, now I get it. You’re right. I’ll have that looked into and changed. Thanks Eugene!

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, December 4, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

Alex: I looked into the incorrect route for the #5 printed in the timetable. Unfortunately, the City of Vancouver notified of the route change after the printing date of the publication. :(

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, December 4, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

Eugene: Those tool tips are fixed now. Thanks again!

• By Eric B, December 4, 2012 @ 11:05 pm

Speaking of the regional timetables, I’d just like to comment on how the print timetables in general have had their formatting quality slide within the last year. Example: the 211 in the North Van timetable; the times and lines are bleeding outside the box.

I also don’t understand why, in the Coquitlam timetable, the 190 was moved to the end of the book and replaced with the 555. The 190 is linked to the 160, and should be next to that schedule. And why is the 100 still in the Coquitlam book? It made sense when the 100 went all the way to PoCo Centre, but not so much now.

• By Eugene Wong, December 5, 2012 @ 3:24 am

@ Translink

Eric B’s comment gives me an idea [which has probably been mentioned already :^D]. Maybe Translink should create a schedule for the entire Frequent Transit Network. It would contain nothing but those specific routes. To test it, it would only need to be in PDF format.

If it takes a while, then maybe a volunteer could do it. It sounds like a lot of work, though.

• By Eric B, December 5, 2012 @ 7:57 am

@Eugene: I personally wouldn’t see the need for an FTN-only schedule, even if it is PDF-only. The purpose of having service at 15 minutes or better for most of the day is that there would be no need to consult a schedule. TransLink should promote its FTN map, and perhaps even identify a frequent route at bus stops (as Portland’s TriMet does when I last visited there).

• By Eugene Wong, December 5, 2012 @ 10:32 am

@ Eric B

You’re right. I can’t believe that I forgot about it. Schedules would go against the whole concept of FTN.

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, December 6, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Eugene and Eric: You’re both right. We do have a FTN map (check the post – http://buzzer.translink.ca/index.php/2012/04/the-frequent-transit-network-map/) which lays out that transit service runs at least every 15 minutes.

1. The Buzzer blog » The December 2012 Buzzer is on the system — December 7, 2012 @ 11:56 am