First phase of running rail replacement work complete!

You may have noticed in the past few months that the Expo Line has been undergoing some major maintenance work!

As part of that maintenance, we have been replacing major sections of rail along the 30 year old track.

The first phase of the work began last August and has just been completed – replacing 4,550 linear metres of rail at three locations.

Here’s what has been replaced so far:

• 700 linear metres of rail along the outbound curve east of Edmonds Station
  • 950 linear metres of rail along the inbound curve west of Edmonds Station
  • 2,900 linear metres of rail along the S-curve between Commercial–Broadway and Main Street –Science World stations.

We will be continuing the rail replacement work this summer.

This work is critical to keeping our system in a good state of repair.

Thanks for your patience while we complete this necessary maintenance on the SkyTrain system!

Author: Jordan Keim

• By Loretta Houben, February 10, 2016 @ 10:42 am

Hello; I’m happy to hear that the rail is being replaced. I live near the Joyce/Collingwood station, and have noticed that the noise level has increased since Nov 2015. I can hear the Skytrains roar past inside my house; I never could hear them inside before. I’ve lived here since 1994 so I’m quite concerned. Do you know if the track will be replaced from Joyce station to Patterson anytime soon? Or who I should contact about the increased noise level? Thanks in advance. I love Skytrain and depend on it as I don’t drive.

• By Jordan Keim, February 12, 2016 @ 3:58 pm

Hi Loretta, i’m sorry to hear that. I’ve reached out to some members of our SkyTrain to find out some more information. I get back to you soon!

• By Elfren Ordanza, February 10, 2016 @ 11:31 am

I’m happy about the replacement. I’m not happy about the other grinded tracks throughout the system, especially when zooming through tunnels in the Downtown core and the Millennium Line tunnels. They’re awfully loud and I almost lost my hearing through them. I’m hoping they’re the next priority.

• By Jordan Keim, February 12, 2016 @ 3:56 pm

Hi Elfren, I agree – the tunnels can be quite noisy at times. Let me see if I can find out some more information on our upcoming work! Stay tuned.

• By Jordan Keim, February 24, 2016 @ 2:15 pm

Hi Loretta and Elfren:

I heard back from our team at SkyTrain! They said that crews will be out this spring/summer doing spot grinding on areas of the track that have noisey “hot-spots”. This should deal a lot of the noise issues.

Loretta – if the noise increases, you can contact our Customer Information at 604.953.3040

Thanks!

• By Adrienne Coling, June 6, 2016 @ 10:19 am

Hi all,

Starting today, June 6, 2016, Customer Relations (CR) and Customer Information (CI – the folks on Twitter!) are merging into one call centre.

This means when you call 604-953-3333 you will still get transit information, but you can also leave feedback at this number as well.

RSS feed for comments on this post.