Our dear Pattullo Bridge is one of the busiest crossings in Metro Vancouver.
Sitting just shy of the big 8-0, the bridge is getting a face lift and the work starts tomorrow!
From April 29 until October 3, extensive deck repair work will take place to keep the bridge safe.
Increased congestion and delays are expected in the area during this necessary construction.
Drivers taking the Pattullo Bridge should plan an extra 20 to 40 minutes of travel time in the morning peak period and 10 to 30 minutes in the afternoon peak period.
With the delays in mind, we encourage drivers to take alternate routes or take transit!
We have added service hours to the 101, 104, 128, 155, 340, 388 and the 410 bus routes.
There are also seven parking lots (plus the existing Park and Ride lots) around New Westminster, Scott Road and Surrey Central SkyTrain stations where you can park and hop on transit to cross the river.
What to expect during construction
- The bridge will close from the evening on April 29 (8 p.m.) to the morning of May 2 (5 a.m.) to allow crews to set up for construction work. The bridge will also close from the evening of September 30 (8 p.m.) to the morning of October 3 (5 a.m.) for crews to remove equipment.
- From May 2 to September 30, the bridge will have one lane open in each direction except for two nights a week and one weekend a month when the bridge will close to vehicle traffic. Be sure to head to our closure schedule for ongoing, updated closures.
- Trucks will still have access when the bridge is open.
- Pedestrians and cyclists will still be able to use the bridge, even during evening and weekend closures.
- Minor vehicle incidents on the bridge will cause significant traffic delays and potentially a full bridge closure.
You can read the media advisory here.
Looking for additional information and travel resources?
Author: Adrienne Coling