Introducing TransLink’s Transit Hacks!

SkyTrain-image
Life hacks
have been a big part of the Internet for the past few years.

Across the world wide web you can find tricks for cooking, laundry, DIY projects, make up and more – all meant to make your life easier.

With that in mind, we are kicking off a new series on the blog; TransLink’s transit hacks!

Each month we will feature a different insider tip, how-to video or live stream conversation to make your life on transit, easier.

Some broad topics we’re considering are: Compass and fare gates, transfers, etiquette/courtesy on transit, bus door boarding and exiting – the possibilities are endless!

We will kick this awesome new series off next month, but we want YOUR input!

Comment below and let us know what you want to get some insider knowledge on to help you on your transit trips.

Do you have a transit hack? Email thebuzzer@translink.ca. If we use your idea for a future video, you’ll win a prize  from the social team!

Author: Adrienne Coling

• By Ben Kennedy, October 24, 2016 @ 11:06 am

How about one for getting around the $5 AddFare that’s imposed at YVR? I miss the old days of using FareSaver tickets.

(I was certain that I had previously read something on this blog, perhaps a year ago or so, talking about a one-zone single-use pre-paid Compass ticket that could be bought ahead of time and activated at leisure. No such product seems to exist, though. What might I have been thinking of…?)

• By Sarah Kertcher, October 31, 2016 @ 11:15 am

Hi Ben,
    As you’re likely aware, the YVR AddFare applies to all eastbound trips starting on Sea Island and continuing beyond Sea Island. The AddFare applies to Stored-Value trips, or single-ride fares and DayPasses purchased at Sea Island stations (YVR-Airport, Sea Island Centre and Templeton), for eastbound travel beyond Sea Island. Compass Vending Machines (CVMs) and Compass fare gates at all three Sea Island stations are programmed to charge the $5 YVR AddFare on applicable transactions. For more information on the Canada Line YVR AddFare, please check out our website http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Canada-Line-YVR-AddFare.aspx. ^sk

• By Juan, October 24, 2016 @ 11:18 am

Do a transit race from Commercial Broadway to Lougheed! One via the expo line, the other person takes Millennium Line

• By Sarah Kertcher, October 31, 2016 @ 11:06 am

This is a great idea! My terminus station is typically Lougheed and I will often switch up the route that I take into Vancouver for fun, however haven’t done it since the SkyTrain pattern change. I’ll definitely have a race next time I’m travelling with a friend! ^sk

• By Aurora, October 24, 2016 @ 7:30 pm

@Ben Kennedy Buy a day pass or compass ticket outside of YVR. Use it when you need to get on at YVR station. Easy.

• By Ian S., October 24, 2016 @ 8:55 pm

@Ben Kennedy. As Aurora says, you can buy a compass ticket elsewhere (not on Sea Island) and use it when you enter any of the stations on Sea Island for a trip to Bridgeport and beyond. But you must use the ticket on the same day that you buy it.

I did this recently. I bought a compass ticket from a vending machine at London Drugs in Maple Ridge, drove to the airport where I parked my car in a long-term lot, then took the Canada Line downtown using that ticket.

• By Sheba, October 26, 2016 @ 1:01 pm

How about how to stay warm and dry on Expo Line platforms by everyone bunching up near the entrance instead of spreading out along the length of the platform. It can be pretty miserable on those platforms on days like today – the newer lines planned much better for that.

• By Tips and Tricks, October 26, 2016 @ 9:41 pm

Here is a transit hack that is unofficial.
    Going to Metrotown from Richmond:
    take the Canada Line to Langara 49th and then transfer to the 49 bus.
    Sometimes faster and guaranteed A/C.

• By Sarah Kertcher, October 31, 2016 @ 10:58 am

Thanks for the transit hack Tips and Tricks! A/C is always a bonus in the summer! ^sk

RSS feed for comments on this post.