The first of 32 new double-decker buses have arrived!
And it debuts at the PNE Fair, August 17 to September 2 (closed Mondays except Labour Day). It’s part of the Transport 2050 Expo, bringing you the past, present and future of transportation in Metro Vancouver.
Starting in the fall, these sparkling vehicles will enter service on selected routes in Metro Vancouver, replacing their aging highway coach ancestors. The buses will help with overcrowding and provide a more comfortable and exciting transit experience for our customers.
The first buses will enter service on the 301 Newton Exchange / Richmond-Brighouse Station and the 620 Bridgeport / Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal routes.
Surrey, Langley and Coquitlam passengers can expect to see the double-decker bus on the 555 Lougheed Station / Carvolth Exchange route in January 2020.
Then in the fall, an order of 25 more double-decker buses is expected to arrive, bringing our double-decker fleet to 57 buses! This will allow us to expand the double-decker bus to more routes throughout the region.
Cool double-decking features
These buses include:
- Almost double the seats of a highway coach
- Plug-in USB charging outlets
- Panoramic views from the upper deck
- A wide, well-lit staircase with handrails to maximize safety
- A screen allowing customers to see vacant seats before going upstairs
- Full accessibility with a low floor and boarding ramp