HUB Bike to Work Week starts today – May 30th, 2016, and it couldn’t be a better day to dust off the old bicycle and pedal your way in to work.
Not only is it fun, but it’s easy to participate in Bike to Work Week! All you have to do is:
- Register yourself here, and either ride solo, or join a team
- Log your trips online to be eligible for some awesome prizes!
Did you know that the entire fleet of CMBC buses are equipped with bus bike racks?! If your commute seems to daunting to tackle on two wheels alone, why not integrate a mode of transit for part of your trip!
Never used a bus bike rack before? No worries! They’re super simple to use, even for a newbie! Check out our Facebook live demo below, our YouTube channel, or you can try for yourself our bus bike rack demo located in North Vancouver between City Hall and the library in Civic Plaza.
- Before the bus arrives, remove loose items such as water bottles, pumps, and panniers.
- Tell the driver you want to load your bike, and then lower the bike rack by pulling on the handle.
- Lift your bike onto the rack. If no other bike is on the rack, place your bike in the slot closest to the bus.
- Lift the support arm up and over the front tire. On newer racks you might have to push the black button at the end of the support arm in order to release the ratchet mechanism.
- Sit at the front of the bus and keep an eye on your bike.
- When leaving the bus, please tell the driver that you need to remove your bike. Exit from the front door.
- Remove your bike and raise the rack to the upright position if it’s empty.
- Slip-covers are recommended for folding bikes.
Author: Sarah Kertcher