ALERT! More info

Stephanie Wiriahardja: Buzzer illustrator interview!

The February 2011 Buzzer cover illustration and its creator, Stephanie Wiriahardja!

And so we continue the fine tradition of interviewing our Buzzer cover illustrator :) Here’s Stephanie Wiriahardja, who drew the illustration on the cover of the February 4, 2011 Buzzer this year!

Tell us about yourself and your art!

I’ve always been a design and idea enthusiast and I’m currently in my final year of study (hopefully!) in Interactive Arts at SFU. I love embedding meanings and I aim to reflect my whimsical flair to all of my designs and photography works.

How did you come up with the Buzzer cover?

Hhm, I just started drawing some of my signature characters on Illustrator and modifying them. Then, I added some things I would like to see happening in the neighbourhood, such as people waving to each other and saying hi as they stroll, bike, bus through the area.

What kind of work are you doing lately and where can we see it?

I have done a few freelancing works on top of my school projects. I am also actively involved in four organizations: SFU’s own student-run creative services called MADRenegade, Vancouver Short Film Festival, Indonesian Catholic Society of BC, and 3rd Degree Theatre. As you can tell, I love challenging myself and my time management skills! :) You can check out my works on my portfolio: www.thedandeliontheory.com. Oh, you can always find me on the twitter hemisphere: @mdstephanierw

Do you have a regular transit route you take? And do you have a favourite seat to sit in on the bus or SkyTrain?

Yes, I’m a transit girl! I rely heavily on transit no matter where I go. I take the Expo Line to school almost every day and seat myself wherever I can lean my head against the window, but preferably in one of those individual seats.

Thanks so much Stephanie!

Check out more of our past illustrator interviews here:

And if you would like to illustrate the Buzzer cover, feel free to send me a link to your portfolio!

• By Tim Choi, February 8, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

It’s great to see fellow SFU students interacting with Translink!

• By Ric, February 9, 2011 @ 7:47 am

When old buses are scrapped are the bike racks removed for reuse? I have noticed that when the D40s and D60s were scrapped some of the buses still had the bike racks on them and some didn’t.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, February 9, 2011 @ 11:17 am

Ric: here’s the answer from our fleet management staff.

They only save as many bike racks as the Stores dep’t figures we’ll need. They don’t take them all off, because only a small number of racks on the rest of the fleet are going to fail, and we don’t have extra labour to remove them all (or the space to warehouse them all).

• By james shaver, February 9, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

Answer to Februarys’ The Buzzer Contest:
    Travel Smart.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, February 9, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

James: make sure you send your answer in to thebuzzer@translink.ca so it is entered in the draw! You also need to send along your name, phone number, and where you got the Buzzer.

• By Eric B, February 9, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

I’m curious to know: do you commission the artists to provide one version for the print Buzzer and another for the blog masthead?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, February 10, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Eric: It’s one big package. We commission the drawing for the print Buzzer, and part of their delivery is to also refashion it for the blog banner!

• By Stephanie Wiriahardja, February 11, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

@ Tim: Hello! Yep, SFU represent! :) :)

1. Tweets that mention The Buzzer blog » Stephanie Wiriahardja: Buzzer illustrator interview! -- Topsy.com — February 8, 2011 @ 8:34 am

2. The Buzzer blog » Patrick Wong: Buzzer illustrator interview! — March 9, 2011 @ 8:02 am

3. Stephanie Wiriahardja, a Young Professional Who Pursues a Social Media Career in Vancouver | Women in Business — February 1, 2014 @ 6:32 am