Heads up: bus service changes coming June 25, 2012

Bus riders, take note! Our regular seasonal bus service changes are coming up on Monday, June 25, 2012.

The major changes include:

• improvements for the 97 and 99 B-Line routes,
  • a temporary summer detour for the 5/N6 off Robson Square,
  • plus seasonal closing of Granville Mall to traffic on weekends and holidays resulting in detours for some downtown buses.

But there are many more smaller changes too! So make sure you know if your bus route is affected. Again, check out the full list of changes in the Transit Service Changes section of our website, or in the June 2012 Buzzer.

If you have any questions about your particular trips, feel free to contact our Customer Information line at 604-953-3333.

And of course, I’m happy to handle larger questions about planning and such in the comments below. Happy riding!

• By kr2101, June 12, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Please leave bus #32 as is. I would rather take the last bus by 6:20 pm & make it more easier on commuters. Also add bus #c19-UBC/Alma via Spanish Banks on Monday – Friday routing for the summer. Just like bus #c26.

• By Gary, June 12, 2012 @ 7:28 pm

Hi Jhenifer, Why are the June 25, 2012 schedules so unprofessional looking? Go the website and select Bus under Schedules & Maps. Enter any Bus Route and change the date to 6-25-2012 and click on Get Schedule. Click on Public Timetable and you’ll see what I mean. It’s the same for all routes. It’s as though everything was done at the last second. I know that times are tough over at TransLink, but you would think that there’s enough money to publish decent looking timetables!

• By Ben K, June 12, 2012 @ 8:19 pm

Gary: The formatting looks reasonable to me. What are you seeing?

b

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, June 13, 2012 @ 8:58 am

Gary: I can see what you’re saying — the new ones look more like printouts and the old ones are formatted like the public timetables. I’m passing on your comment to our customer info team: we should have a response reasonably soon.

• By Ben K, June 13, 2012 @ 10:38 am

(I rescind my reply—I now see what Gary means. I had neglected to click “public timetable” and was instead looking at the HTML-formatted stop-by-stop results in the preceding screen.)

b

• By Stefan, June 13, 2012 @ 2:37 pm

Is that what the raw timetables look like unformatted…before, shazzam, they’re transformed into beautiful, reader-friendly printed timetables?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, June 13, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

Gary, Ben K: I talked to our customer information staff and the raw timetables up there are a stopgap while they get the info laid out nicely—for example, here is a reformatted schedule for the #5 bus. They anticipate having all the timetables done by June 25, when the service changes happen.

• By SS, June 13, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

What happened to the old version? Is the printed timetable going away or there will just be two different versions? Seems like a lot of work when they have to reformat all 220+ routes, 4 times a year..

• By Stefan, June 14, 2012 @ 12:51 am

Jhenifer:

Surely the updated #5 timetable you linked to is still not the finished, printed product? Or is this only a temporary thing for timetables that are being updated but not actually reprinted? Is the twilight of printed timetables upon us?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, June 14, 2012 @ 9:44 am

Stefan, SS:
    Aha, I should clarify. No, we are not doing away with the printed timetables. It’s just that the June service changes are never actually printed as physical timetable books — we only do our printed timetables in April each year.

A little more info from our customer information team:

The “full stop schedules” on-line are usually the same ones available on the street except that the June Schedule changes are never printed. An advantage to offering the June schedules electronically is that customers will be able to view, print, download and email these. Paper Timetables for the April Schedule changes are still available at local Libraries, Municipal City Hall’s and various other outlets. We can also send them via Canada Post to customers who wish to us to do so. Although the paper timetables are still available they are not as up-to-date as the ‘new’ schedules on-line and as previously mentioned not all times are shown.

• By Stefan, June 14, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

Jhenifer:

Okay, that makes sense. But this does give us some appreciation for the amount of labour that must be invested in turning all that raw data into a finished product—even a PDF file.

…For example, consolidating data into “then every 7-8 minutes until”; making the stop names reader friendly; adding all the footnotes; ensuring everything fits into the right page area.

And then every April, making sure that the whole kit and kaboodle fits into a pamphlet whose panels must be a multiple of 8, with all the system maps, exchange maps, and cover material thrown in, plus a correct table of contents. That’s a lot of work!

Not to mention everything leading up to that point: determining service levels; allocating buses; dividing work up into “sheets” for drivers to bid on (factoring break times and working hours); updating bus stop signs, destination signs, and maps when there are changes…

Any thought to doing up a post or two on how all these scheduling comes together—and 4 times a year at that? (Or has it been done and I missed it?)

• By Stefan, June 14, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

…”this scheduling,” not “these scheduling.”

• By Tom M, June 16, 2012 @ 6:47 am

Please make bus route #791 a more unlimited service. I want to use this bus on weekends and after the Lougheed Mall is closed.

• By Tom M, June 16, 2012 @ 7:01 am

I notice that you have an archive of Buzzers.

I wish you had an archive of bus route maps.
    A history of bus routes from the beginning to now.
    This would include the Central Park and Burnaby Lake Lines.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, June 18, 2012 @ 3:39 pm

Stefan: a good idea! I’ll put it on my story list :)

Tom M: I’ve passed along your thoughts about the 791 to our planning team. Also, good note about historical transit maps!

• By Tom M, June 19, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

I like Bus #791 because it links to the Millennium Line which links to Bus #84. I get off at 4th and Alma, walk to the Hastings Mill and Point Grey Road. And then I walk along Point Grey Road through the False Creek seawall all the way to Science World. And then I take the Skytrain back to Braid, and then bus home to Haney via 791 Place.

To me, Bus 791 is the eastern extension of the Millennium Line. Bus 84 is the western extension.

• By Tom M, June 19, 2012 @ 9:52 pm

I would like to be able to do this on weekends.

TransLink – Trip Itinerary

Detailed Directions for June 20, 2012
    Remember to leave enough time to walk to your stop and to your destination.

From: HANEY PLACE TRANSIT EXCHANGE, EDGE ST, MAPLE RIDGE
    To: W 4TH AVE @ ALMA ST, VANCOUVER

Cash Fare: $5.00 for an adult

5:30am to 7:23am with 2 transfers
    791 BRAID STN
    Leaving at: 5:30am from HANEY PLACE BAY 3
    Arriving at: 6:26am at BRAID STN BAY 4

Transfer to SKYTRAIN – platform sign MILLENNIUM LINE train to VCC-CLARK
    Leaving at: 6:35am from BRAID SKYTRAIN
    Arriving at: 6:57am at VCC SKYTRAIN

Transfer to 84 UBC
    Leaving at: 7:06am from VCC/CLARK STN BAY 1
    Arriving at: 7:23am at WB W 4 AV FS ALMA ST

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, June 22, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

Tom M: I passed your info on to our planning team, and they’ve passed along a response for you. Hope it helps!

Thanks for your suggestion Tom. We don’t have any plans right now to expand 791 service to weekends, but it is on our list of potential expansion projects should resources become available (it’s a fairly big list though!). We have made some improvements to this service in recent years, including the introduction of mid-day service and increasing peak frequencies. For now, your best bet on weekends is the 701, which connects with the 169 to get you to Braid (adding about 18 minutes to your travel time compared to the 791). Once Evergreen Line starts in 2016 the 701 will connect directly to the SkyTrain network at Coquitlam Centre. For more info on how TransLink makes service decisions visit our new web section at translink.ca/networkmanagement.

• By Maxwell Chang, June 23, 2012 @ 12:36 am

Hello, I would like to talk about the 29 bus schedule that is being changed at June 25 2012. I really dislike the change because I am so used to the old schedule and not only me but people around my area also is used to it. In addition, we got many older people that take this bus and are familiar with the old timetable. Please take this in consideration in the future to change back to the old timetable.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, June 25, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

Thanks Maxwell: I’ve passed your comment on to our planning staff. If you can also put your complaint into our formal feedback form too, it will be logged and captured in our system.

1. The Buzzer blog » Bus changes for late June 2012: Granville Street weekend detours, Robson buses on Olympic routes — June 18, 2012 @ 8:00 am