Info tubes are back starting Monday, June 29

An example of an info tube from Metrotown bus loop.

An example of an info tube from Metrotown bus loop.

Good news: our customer information department will start refilling the info tubes with schedules as of Monday, June 29!

Owing to all your feedback, the department has been able to rally some resources to fill the 919 info tubes currently sitting empty. (Around 300 tubes at bus loops have been continually maintained.)

So, watch for the info to return to the tubes starting next Monday. It’ll still take some time to fill them all up again, but don’t worry – they will be filled!

And a big thank you again for sending in your thoughts on this issue—it was very much appreciated.

• By Sally, June 23, 2009 @ 8:08 pm

Excellent news! The number of bewildered people I saw at Granville & Broadway trying to find info on the highway coaches was unbelievable.

• By Sean, June 24, 2009 @ 12:05 pm

G-R-E-A-T- news!! Like I stated in a previous post, I thought the decision to reduce the “suburban”/less frequently served areas InfoTubes was very short sighted!

• By Jonathan, June 24, 2009 @ 3:42 pm

Thank you so much. I often don’t carry my cell phone with me and staring at those empty schedule tubes was a real inconvenience.

• By Mike, June 28, 2009 @ 10:30 pm

What ever happened to those old blue wooden bus stops?

While they don’t facilitate the bus schedules I remember seeing them everywhere in Greater Vancouver before TransLink took over. I suppose it was one of the ways that made Vancouver a little different.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, July 2, 2009 @ 10:46 am

Mike: actually, when it comes to bus stops, the only thing TransLink owns is the pole and the sign. The bus shelters and various amenities are in fact chosen by the municipalities, which is why there can be a varied look around the region.

• By Mike, July 3, 2009 @ 3:29 am

I am actually talking about the bus stop pole itself. It was made of wood; it was a 4x4x8. It was painted a deep shade of blue.

• By ;-), July 3, 2009 @ 6:43 am

I almost forgot about those things. Click on the link on my name for a reminder.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, July 3, 2009 @ 8:46 am

Aha–well, I guess we replaced them with metal ones then :) Let me see if I can find out any more info about those.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, July 3, 2009 @ 11:06 am

Update: I’ve asked about the poles and have received answers! From CMBC planning:

The wood poles have been slowly removed and replaced by steel poles. It’s a maintenance issue, because the wood was more difficult to install and maintain paint wise etc. It’s been an ongoing project for a number of years. As more and more of the bus stops are set in concrete or blacktop it’s easier and neater to use a coring machine than it is to jackhammer and dig with a shovel. Also, when the stop is damaged (usually through motor vehicle accidents) a bent pipe can be replaced by simply loosening the bolt in the sleeve and replacing the pipe. A broken post would require the crew to dig out the broken piece of post that was typically three to four feet into the ground before a new post could be installed. In areas without concrete or blacktop surfaces, a cement block and sleeve are used. I hope that helps.

I should also mention that my contact liked the blue wood poles better too, as they stood out from the other posts on the street :)

• By Mike, July 3, 2009 @ 3:06 pm

Ah, that makes sense. I’d much have rather have metal bus stop poles if it means that more buses will be servicing them as a result. :p

Preserve a few then! Down Oak Street or University Boulevard. Just to keep people on their toes!