More photos and video of the new SkyTrain car in action

The new SkyTrain car at Edmonds Station. Photo by <a href=http://thetransitsite.bravehost.com/Photo%20Gallery/Skytrain/Bombardier%20MKII%20Trains/1300-1400%20series/MKII%201300-1400%20Trains.html>Bryan Gal</a> --- see a much larger version <a href=http://www.majhost.com/gallery/translink/Transit/TransLink/Skytrain/img_5050.jpg>here</a>.

The new SkyTrain car at Edmonds Station. Photo by Bryan Gal --- see a much larger version here.

The new SkyTrain cars hit the system last Friday, and a few excellent readers have caught more photos and video of the train.

Bryan, who you may have heard in the podcast last week, has photos up at The Transit Site, and a video of the light-up maps and more.

Josh also sent along a gallery of his photos.

Adam also sent along three videos done with his phone camera:

Again, you can see many detailed shots of the interiors + exteriors at the past Buzzer blog posts:

Feel free to email me or write in the comments with more new SkyTrain car sightings/stories!

• By daniel, July 6, 2009 @ 12:20 pm

hey jen can you let us know when the skytrain is starting its test runs or which line its on and which station its at so some ppl can figure out when to catch the new skytrain?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, July 6, 2009 @ 12:25 pm

What a coincidence — I just made a new post asking people to tweet the location of the new train, so others could track its movements and get on board!

• By jon, July 8, 2009 @ 9:53 am

was just wondering why the new maps, dont show connections with the canada line?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, July 8, 2009 @ 10:01 am

Jon: They will! The maps are just printed on plastic overlays and will be reprinted with Canada Line connections once the Canada Line is actually open. Right now, since the Canada Line isn’t open yet, it is just a bit weird to tell people that a train connection is there, since they can’t get on anything yet.

• By daniel, July 9, 2009 @ 12:50 pm

has skytrain solved the problems with the train when its near edmonds?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, July 9, 2009 @ 12:51 pm

What’s the problem with the train at Edmonds?

• By daniel, July 9, 2009 @ 1:34 pm

well i was riding the new skytrain and we where enroute to waterfront and then the train

• By daniel, July 9, 2009 @ 1:36 pm

srrry accidently pressed send, so as i was saying as we where near omc the train broke down and so we where under manual drive and came into edmonds and we were forced off. and then the next day i heard some other enthusiasts that where riding the train that the train broke down just outside of omc

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, July 9, 2009 @ 1:43 pm

Hmmm. I’ll ask and see if there’s any more info on this.

• By David, July 14, 2009 @ 5:03 pm

I finally got to ride the new train this morning. I stood in my usual spot next to the outside door. The noise from passing air was lower than on other SkyTrain cars and the LIMs are very quiet, but the air conditioning was loud. Two SkyTrain maintenance guys got on the train at Granville and the first thing I heard them say was how loud the AC was.

I like the new light up map, all the places to hold on and the extra room for people with strollers and wheelchairs.

• By pat, July 17, 2009 @ 10:04 am

I rode the new train for the first time yesterday and ended up with an unbelievable headache by the end. There was a very loud and constant droning pulse sound that slowed down at stops and sped up at full speed. I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Bad day to be without my headphones.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, July 17, 2009 @ 10:31 am

Hey David, pat: I’ve asked about the noise you’re hearing and here’s what I’ve heard:

Yes, the loud droning noise is emanating from the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. We are aware of this issue and a modification is in the process of being implemented. It should be implemented on the new MK II vehicles currently in service within the next month or so. Once implemented, the HVAC system will be much quieter and the noise will be gone.

I guess noticing this noise issue is exactly why we are testing the new SkyTrains out :)

• By Mark, October 10, 2009 @ 5:14 pm

Hey Jhenifer! I got to ride the new train twice today! But I noticed that the destination sign and the light up maps were not working! This was on both trains! I was wondering why they weren’t working!

1. Rode the newer Mark II SkyTrains « metro babel — July 13, 2009 @ 9:18 pm