Here’s the latest update on the Broadway Station upgrade project, for June-August 2009! (If you hadn’t heard, we are upgrading Broadway Station to better handle customer traffic and improve security: see this post for the full details.)
What work was done in June 2009?
- The existing elevator shaft was demolished on both levels of the station.
- Demolition of the ancillary rooms on the northeast concourse was 90% complete.
- Structural steel installation for the new elevator shaft on the south end of the platform is complete.
- South entrance canopy, rolling shutter door, and lights are complete.
- Installation of electrical lighting fixtures was 80% complete.
- New flooring has been fully installed in the west side of the north concourse area, at the existing station entrance off Broadway.
- The electrical services shaft has been relocated at platform level.
- A new hoop truss has been installed.
- The roof extension on the platform level on the south side is complete.
- We’ve completed steel work and framing for the new stairs at the south end.
- Painting is ongoing!
What work was done in July 2009?
- A steel plate was installed on the platform at the location of the now-demolished old elevator shaft, and the hoarding and fencing around the former elevator has been removed. On the platform level, this has completely opened up the platform to provide much better space in the area of the old elevator.
- Work began on replacement of existing guard rails at platform level with glazing around existing stairs and escalators. Hoarding required will narrow the platform space in these areas.
- Elevator and escalator components arrived on site for new units at south end. Installation will begin!
- Concrete stair treads are being installed on the new south stair.
- Demolition of ancillary rooms completed in the northeast concourse area.
- Installation of lighting fixtures continued.
- New flooring being installed throughout concourse level.
- Painting in the station continues!
What’s happening in August 2009?
- The old elevator at north end will be removed completely, opening up the area at both the north end of the platform and north concourse entrance off Broadway.
- Glass guardrails are being installed around the existing stairs and escalators.
- Elevator installation continues.
- Escalator installation is continuing and will be complete in early September.
- Concrete stair treads continue to be installed in the new south staircase, and will be complete in early September.
- Lighting fixtures continue to be installed
- Flooring work (tiling) continues throughout concourse level.
- A new rolling shutter door will be installed at the current Broadway entrance.
Want to know more?
For more on this project, take a look at the Buzzer’s past posts about the upgrade: