Friday fun post: Buzzer trivia from 1962

If you like, skip to the end of this post to answer the Buzzer trivia from 1962.

Last week’s survey: how do you request a stop?

Last week, I asked whether you pull the cord or push the button to request your stop on a bus.

And out of 203 votes, pulling the cord was the favourite with 66%, while pushing the button got 33%.

Some people said they used whatever was closest. Here’s Tsushima Masaki:

For me this choice is usually dictated by what is available to me (and what is closest). Most buses in Richmond only have the pull cord, so that’s what I use the majority of the time.

But some had definite preferences for either the cord or button. Here’s Mike on the buttons, with some interesting observations:

I use the buttons whenever possible, because then I don’t have to lean over people to pull the cord. However, most busses in the Tri-Cities don’t have buttons in them. I think there’s a lot of people who think the red buttons are actually emergency stop buttons, like on trains. Sometimes I see people who are already holding the pole with the button on it perform gymnastics to reach the cord.

Dora mostly liked the cord though:

I usually pull the cord (or, as I tend to refer to it out of long-term childish habit, the “dinger-bell”), mostly out of habit. I do like to have the buttons available when I’m standing, though, so I don’t need to invade the personal space of people sitting down to reach a cord.

As always, more comments can be found at the original post.

This week: Buzzer trivia from 1962

For this week’s fun post, here’s a trivia question from the Buzzer archives: the November 16, 1962 issue, to be exact.

Tell me what the three countries are in the comments! (There’s no answers listed in the Buzzer, but I’ve done a bit of research and am reasonably sure I know which they are.)

Why on earth was this contest in the Buzzer? Well, it really harks back to the unique development of transit in our region. Originally, transit was developed by the private electric company in our region. So along with transit info, the Buzzer would run all kinds of articles trumpeting the wonders of electricity and electric devices, encouraging people to buy clothes dryers, install electric lighting, and more.

This contest was obviously along those lines, urging people to try for a new appliance for their home. As well, B.C. Hydro was sponsoring the broadcast of a syndicated TV show on travel called Seven League Boots. You had to watch the show to get clues for the contest!

Thanks to Angus McIntyre for loaning us this Buzzer to be scanned. Again, if you have poll question suggestions or other ideas for fun Friday trivia and surveys and such, please let me know! I’m always on the lookout for help with this item!

• By Sungsu, September 25, 2009 @ 4:51 pm

Turkey, Venezuela, Sri Lanka (back in 1962 it was known as Ceylon)

• By Eric, September 25, 2009 @ 4:52 pm

Top to bottom: Turkey, Venezuela, and Sri Lanka. I’ll take the dishwasher/disposal unit, please :)

• By Henry A., September 25, 2009 @ 4:54 pm

The top country is Turkey and the bottom-most I think is Sri Lanka. The middle one is Venezuela.

• By Patrick Meehan, September 25, 2009 @ 5:19 pm

I was definitely going to come and post Ceylon…

• By Jim, September 25, 2009 @ 5:35 pm

I think that Eric is correct: Turkey, Venezuela, and Sri Lanka in that order are the countrys in the images.

• By zack, September 25, 2009 @ 7:10 pm

I just researched them on the map, and based on the looks the countries are Turkey,Venezuela,and Sri Lanka.

• By Tessa, September 25, 2009 @ 9:38 pm

Turkey and Sri Lanka I got almost immediately. Venezuala, though, I couldn’t figure out. Nice contest.

• By Dave 2, September 25, 2009 @ 11:50 pm

Seven-league boots?

(and that’s weird, I just got a “you are posting too quickly” message for my first post in weeks…. I’m sure posting again isn’t going to help)

• By zack, September 27, 2009 @ 9:18 am

Hello! this is a trivia question not a question on making money!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, September 28, 2009 @ 9:14 am

zack: I think a couple of spam pieces got into the comments here. Deleted now!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, September 28, 2009 @ 3:10 pm

Dave 2:

I did a little Googling and Seven League Boots appears to be a “travel adventure” show hosted by a fellow named Jack Douglas. There’s no clips online, but it sounds like a Jacques Cousteau-ish type show, only exploring the world, not the sea!

There’s also a description in the July 27, 1962 Buzzer as well.

“You can look forward to 39 weekly half hours of family television adventure on Channel 8 starting Tuesday, August 7, at 8:30 p.m.

A new television series, “Seven League Boots,” offers something for everyone. You’ll learn about the upbringing and training of a Japanese Geisha Girl, about the dangerous lives of smugglers in Singapore, about “The White Trail to Buddha”. You’ll visit the city of Hunza, high in the Himalayas, which has no crime rate, no juvenile delinquency and no police force.

It also had a short list of upcoming Seven League Boots episodes:

“Seven League Boots” received exclusive rights to send a camera crew to the actual caves where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered to film the remarkable story of how an Arab boy uncovered one of the most significant archaelogical finds of all times.

Other exciting programs deal with The Persian Plains, A Weekend in Tokyo, The Pagan Village, The Cowboys of France, Jungle Town Amigos, South of Bengal Bay, The Kingdom of the Shah, The Moslems of the Sulu Sea, When They Marry in Japan, The Filipino, The Twentieth Century Samurai. And there are many more.

And it does appear to be spelled “Seven League Boots” and not “Seven-League Boots”!

• By Stefan, September 29, 2009 @ 7:29 am

Well, I was about to put up my brilliant answer, but I see the first 6 or 7 commentors in a row all beat me to the punch! :)

• By Dave 2, September 29, 2009 @ 11:21 am

Thanks Jhenifer, all I could find was a description of the magic boots on wikipedia…

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, September 29, 2009 @ 1:40 pm

Those types of seven-league boots are awesome though.

• By Romase, October 3, 2009 @ 4:12 pm