Richmond-Brighouse bus loop changes coming Monday, Oct 12

The new layout for the Richmond-Brighouse loop, coming Monday, October 12. Click the image to see a much larger version.

As reported in the October Buzzer, there are changes coming to the Richmond-Brighouse loop on Monday, October 12.

The bus bays are being moved and buses reassigned to address concerns about buses stopping by Saba Road and Buswell Street. Check out the diagram above to find out where your bus will stop/start.

• By Cree, October 9, 2009 @ 11:27 am

For a second there I thought the station was going to be changed to just “Brighouse Station”. *sigh*

• By Tsushima Masaki, October 9, 2009 @ 1:05 pm

When I saw the heading I thought it was an announcement that an actual loop was going to be built.

Looking at it, the only benefit for me is that the 401 Garden City and 405 Five Road are at the same bay so I don’t have to run after a 405 if I see it arrive before the 401.

Oh, by the way I had a great time at the Buzzer Blog Birthday meetup, hope I’m around when it turns 2!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, October 9, 2009 @ 1:25 pm

It was good to meet you Tsushima!

About the actual bus loop: as far as I know, it’s not planned to be built for a few years. The Scotiabank is where the loop will be — it’s supposed to be relocated nearby, and that relocation is still being sorted out. Here’s an article from the Richmond News with a bit more info.

• By Henry A., October 9, 2009 @ 5:10 pm

That’s quite far to walk if you have to transfer from Brighouse Station to 402/403/404/410 heading southbound (like myself), especially when it’s raining or snowing. When will that Scotiabank EVER going to be relocated and a more proper bus interchange like the one at Lonsdale Quay going to be built right beside the station?

BTW, for No.3 Rd northbound from Cook Rd, is there a bus parking lane that dips in from the right lane to avoid unnecessary merging by cars traveling on the right lane to the left (I’m currently studying in the US and unable to check it out myself)?

• By Henry A., October 9, 2009 @ 5:10 pm

Oops, double post from Tsushima, sorry.

• By Sean, October 10, 2009 @ 8:15 am

As a Richmond bus driver, i really don’t understand why the southbound #403, 405, 410, 480 just simply travel south on 3 Road and NOT turn east onto Saba Road…
    There could be a bus stop southbound at either Saba, Westmoinster or even at this new pedestrian activated light mid block between Saba & Cook! Why all this turning onto Saba, Buswell, Cook, and back onto 3 Road?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, October 13, 2009 @ 1:46 pm

Sean: I asked CMBC planning, and here’s the response.

The reason for southbound No 3 Rd trips turning onto Saba and unloading, and then going to Buswell, Cook and then No 3 Rd (i.e. 403 Three Road) is so that our customers can safely be dropped-off and/or be picked-up without having to cross a roadway in order to go to/from Richmond-Brighouse Station.

• By Rick, October 13, 2009 @ 8:13 pm

This is a longer transfer. I get off the 480 at bay 4 and walk to the farthest bay at bay 5 in order to get the 402. Also very little shelter here compared to Saba. The change is worse for me. We need a proper bus loop.

• By Marvin B, November 8, 2009 @ 5:24 pm

Any chance of an “unloading only” stop near Buswell Street and Cook? That way the walk can be shortened for those who need to transfer from buses (480 for example) to those now at bay 5?

• By Chris Mackenzie, February 3, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

I know this is from back in the day, but how loud are translink busses? I wore earplugs when sitting in the back of New Flyer high floor busses and still hide behind the other side of the richmond centre bus shelter when a bus is idling for a timing stop to avoid the noise. Does translink have a policy regarding noise pollution?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, February 10, 2011 @ 3:56 pm

Chris: here’s a response from our fleet management department.

The last of our New Flyer high-floor buses (25 in North Van) are loud, so even though they’re relatively low-mileage vehicles, we’re making a point of replacing them as soon as we can. This is expected in late 2012.

For as long as I’ve been involved (2006+), when we spec new buses, we make a point of trying to push the industry to give us the quietest buses that they can. Our goal is for the buses to be comfortable for our riders inside and comfortable for the public outside. Regarding noise while a bus is idling, for any bus that’s not in service, our anti-idle policy applies.

In terms of policy regarding noise, I’m not sure if we have a specific noise policy, but retiring noisy equipment and sourcing quiet replacement equipment is in line with the sustainability policy, since it applies to environmental, economic, and social sustainability.