20cm of snow forecast for today and Tuesday morning

As you may have heard already, 20cm of snow has been forecast for the region this afternoon and tomorrow morning.

So if it does happen, do make sure you check out this earlier blog post! There’s winter rider tips, plus all the info on where you can find the latest updates on transit system conditions.

Edit: I should also add that I’m home sick at the moment, so please keep your eye on the TransLink Twitter account for the latest system updates from our media team, especially on Tuesday morning!

Edit 2, Tue @ 10:45 a.m.: The snow didn’t really materialize today! Hurrah!

• By Cliff, December 14, 2009 @ 3:49 pm

It’s that time of year again when the city shuts down and the public is whipped into a frenzy after a few centimetres of snow falls.

Vancouver is a little funny when it comes to snow. Vancouver has not had a single winter without snow, yet its residents seem surprised and horrified when it does fall. That’s funny; I thought I was in Canada, not Los Angeles.

I really hate stating the obvious, but take it from someone who’s lived in Edmonton. Slow down. That’s it. It doesn’t matter what you drive. If you drive a Hummer, you shouldn’t be going any faster than the Astrovan in the lane next to you. By driving faster, you really give up all advantage you had by driving said vehicle. Combining that with driver overconfidence and well, it’s a recipe for disaster.

Get that vehicle in first gear, throw your hazards on and take it nice and slow down the hill. If you start to lose control, drive toward the curb or a snowdrift. Better to hit snow or be out a hundred dollars for a new tire than to hit the car in front of you.

• By enviromodernist, December 14, 2009 @ 7:36 pm

get well soon Jhenifer!

• By David M, December 15, 2009 @ 8:28 am

CLiff

It’s just not that simple. Good ideas, yes. But Edmonton does not have the hills we have out here; the roads are wider and flatter; and the snow is drier. Snow and ice are more slippery when the temperature is close to zero, and less slippery when the temperature is well below zero (ice shrinks below minus 22).

Out on the coast, with temperatures close to zero, a small amount of snow makes driving up small shallow hills difficult.

I would add – make sure you always buy all-season radials. Don’t bother with those useless summer tires (I’m surprised summer tyres are even legal in Canada given our weather).

People the the coast just don’t have the experience driving in snow. In Alberta when it snows, it tends to stay for four or five months and you get used to it. Even there, the first snow fall results in many accidents – no better than in Vancouver.

• By Donald, December 15, 2009 @ 10:45 am

All-seasons just don’t cut it in the snow especially with our hills. Proper winter tires combined with careful driving are two musts. I’m glad to see more Vancouverites running on proper snow tires this year.

• By ;-), December 16, 2009 @ 8:07 am

Many of us know about “all-seasons” and “winter” tires. But in recent years, a new “all-weather” tire is a great option for those not venturing in ski hills or drive very little throughout the year. Basically it’s an all-season tire made with a softer rubber and has earned the “snowflake” symbol. They don’t grip as well in the summer, but great help in winter for those who don’t drive much.

Another issue to consider is “tire aging”. All seasons are great for the first two years, but the rubber does harden past year 4 to 6. The older tires don’t work as well on ice, despite lots of tread remaining.

Often it’s one spouse who decides what tires go on a vehicle, and another spouse drives great distances to work in winter, despite the conditions under the belief “all-seasons” allow them to tackle anything. I often ask “how much does their spouse love them?”.

A good set of tires will be far cheaper than dealing with an accident. I’m glad to see the Canada Line in operation. No more jackknifing buses on Granville.

• By Donald, December 16, 2009 @ 5:53 pm

I tried the Nokian WR G2 all-weather tire and I hated them. Don’t get me wrong, they’re very good tires for someone who can only afford one set of tire or don’t drive enough to justify two sets, but they’re just barely adequate in the snow. Kal Tire took my tires back and gave me true winter tires which were so much better. True Service indeed!

I can give the WR G2s credit for being awesomely wonderful in the rain, I could not get them to hydroplane even if I tried.