NBC interviews a transit host

Ron speaking to an NBC reporter!

Ron speaking to an NBC reporter!

Joanne, a transit host from CMBC who is working at Yaletown-Roundhouse Station, caught an interesting moment on camera while working. Here’s her story:

A reporter from NBC visited the extremely busy Yaletown Canada Line Station and stopped to interview Ron, a transit host.

What did she ask him? The number of people he’s answered questions for? What he felt about the protesters? Technical advice for her AirCare issues?

Nope! She wanted him to use ‘Eh’ in a sentence.

Now that is hard hitting news!

• By ericmk, February 18, 2010 @ 6:38 pm

How silly! Honestly, I don’t think native Canadians use “Eh” all that often or at least not the native Canadians I know. Stereotyping is stupid! I guess this is why I prefer ABC news over NBC!

• By casey, February 18, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

Oh wow.. how disappointing is that. And just when I thought NBC was doing an ok job of covering the games.

• By Paul, February 19, 2010 @ 2:31 am

Actually I think a lot of Canadians do use term “eh.” But we do it without even knowing we did it. I remember I was talking to an American years ago. I must of used the term and they start laughing. I didn’t even realize I had used it.

The good part is we are the only country that says it. :)

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, February 19, 2010 @ 9:50 am

You know, at least she didn’t ask him to say “aboot.”

• By Matt, February 19, 2010 @ 10:46 am

Isn’t that how Canada got it’s name? They picked letters out of a hat.

C, eh?
    N, eh?
    D, eh?

I know I use it fairly often. It’s certainly more intellectual sounding than the American ‘Huh?’

• By Stefan, February 19, 2010 @ 3:38 pm

When I was a kid, there was a book that came out called, “Canajun, Eh?,” self-mocking Canadian stereotypes. At the time, I thought it was ludicrous: who uses “eh”? (Actually, we do use it a lot.)

The funny thing is, though, that the older I get, the more I use it, and not even really deliberately or consciously. It may be a dialect signifier: we use it to unconsciously signal to other Canadians that we’re speaking Canadian English.