Transportation links and tidbits for Wednesday, April 21

A photo from last week's trip out to Granville Street. Here is the trolley wire from Davie at Granville, terminating at one pole on the right, since there's no wire running up the street yet.

Tidbits and links time! Btw, if you have links & tidbits to sugest, or a photo to showcase on these posts, e-mail me at thebuzzer@translink.ca.

• By Andrew S, April 21, 2010 @ 9:34 am

Hey… Is it just me, or is that car parked on the sidewalk? =P

• By ;-), April 21, 2010 @ 10:27 am

Not exactly… To create a more friendly sidewalk, the city wants to use parked cars as a buffer for fast moving vehicles. When there is no parked cars, the bollards keeps the traffic from using the curb as an additional travel lane.

• By Tim Choi, April 21, 2010 @ 9:27 pm

So when do we get our real-time GPS-based ETA info? I assume it’s being worked on, hehe.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, April 22, 2010 @ 9:22 am

Yeah, it’s being worked on. Real-time data is something we really want to get out there. I believe the IT folks are in the early stages of figuring out how to get the data flow going.

• By Paul C, May 3, 2010 @ 2:42 am

By ‘Real-time’ will it show exactly when the next bus is coming or if a bus as been early and left already. Right now the next bus service only shows when the next scheduled bus is due. Not when the bus is actually coming.

If it is what I think your implying I’m going to be majorily happy. This is the one thing that will make the system almost perfect.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, May 3, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

Yes, by real-time data I mean that it will show the *actual* bus arrival times, as read from the GPS devices inside each vehicle. The Next Bus service only shows the scheduled items, as you’ve pointed out.