Canada Line system performance test starts Monday June 21

A Canada Line train on the North Arm Bridge!

A Canada Line train on the North Arm Bridge!

Expect slightly faster Canada Line train times for about two weeks, starting Monday June 21: PROTRANS BC will be doing a system performance test for fifteen days.

Here’s the release they put out today:

Starting Monday, June 21, 2010, the Canada Line will initiate a 15-day System Test in preparation of higher frequency of train service, which is scheduled to come into effect after the second year of operation. The Canada Line will remain in revenue service and welcome its passengers’ patronage while conducting this test.

During this test period, the train headway during Peak Service periods will be reduced from the current 3 minutes 45 seconds to 3 minutes 10 seconds along the main branch of the Line between Waterfront Station and Bridgeport Station, and from 7 minutes 30 seconds to 6 minutes 20 seconds on the Bridgeport
to YVR-Airport and Bridgeport to Richmond-Brighouse spurs. Dwell times (the time that trains are stopped) in each station will be slightly extended as a result of the increase train frequency.

Peak Service periods are Weekdays between 7:00 A.M. and 6:00 P.M., Saturdays between 9 a.m and 6 p.m., and Sundays, as well as statutory holidays, between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.

All Canada Line stations will remain available and accessible during regular revenue service hours, and train service during non-peak periods will remain unchanged. Headways and dwell times at stations will revert back to the current levels after the completion of the System Performance Test.

• By Tsushima Masaki, June 17, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

I hope some day I won’t have to wait 20 minutes for a train back to Richmond-Brighouse during the closing hours of the night… but I am looking forward to this increased frequency.

• By Jacob, June 17, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

So how is this going to work? Are the trains going to run quicker, or are there going to be all 20 trains, or what? If there is a longer dwell time, then won’t the trip from end to end be longer, even with the increased frequency?

• By Nicholas, June 17, 2010 @ 8:25 pm

Oh! I can’t wait to see how the Canada Line will operate differently starting Monday.

I’m assuming trains will run a bit faster along the line…? I believe the trip times will be the same because they’re using the time saved travelling to be added on the dwell time. But do correct me if I’m wrong :)

• By David M, June 17, 2010 @ 9:08 pm

Jhneifer, I’m confused. Why do they need to test a frequency increase? Didn’t they run all 20 trains during the Olympics? Or are they testing speeding the trains up to achieve the shorter headways?

• By Gordon, June 18, 2010 @ 9:24 am

If this test is successful will this leed to the full tme implimentation of tighter heasways?

What is the minimum possible headways for the CAnada Line?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, June 18, 2010 @ 10:00 am

K, I’m going to pass these answers along to PROTRANS — stay tuned for answers!

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, June 18, 2010 @ 10:30 am

OK, here’s what I have from PROTRANS:

The total time of travel will be minimally affected.

This test has always been in the plans and the success during the Olympics did not negate the purpose of this test.

The service plan demonstrated during this 15-day test will be implemented after the second year of operation, as planned in our contract.

We are running 18 trains during the test. Compared to the normal 14.

I hope this clarifies things.

• By ben K, June 18, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

The normal definition of “headway” means time from nose to nose (regardless of dwell time), so my interpretation is that service will indeed be more frequent, despite there also being more time to board the train.

Can’t say that ProTrans reply clears much up for me, but then I’ve still only had half my coffee this morning :)

b

• By Jacob, June 18, 2010 @ 4:19 pm

If the dwell times are longer, then won’t the time from end (YVR) to end (Waterfront) be longer?

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, June 18, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

Jacob:
    I’m not exactly sure as PROTRANS didn’t specify the dwell times: all they’ve said is that the time will be minimally affected.

• By ;-), June 18, 2010 @ 11:53 pm

While 3 or 4 minutes headways sounds great…. I’m looking forward to seeing Expo/Millenium headways on the Richmond segment of the Canada Line. 12 minute frequencies after 6pm is too soon.

I wonder if these upcoming tests includes running 2 trains on the Richmond segment, for every one train to YVR. It’s not uncommon to be standing room only departing the Brighouse station, especially the weekends.

• By Sean (CMBC), June 23, 2010 @ 4:27 pm

Anything that would reduce the wait times between trains on the Brighouse section would be a great improvement… At all times of day, and on all days of the week…
    I would also “second” a motion to consider running 2 trains along the Richmond/#3 Road portion to every 1 train serving YVR… Example: A Brighouse train, then 3 minutes later: Brighouse, then 3 minutes later: YVR, Then 3 minutes later: Brighouse, then 3 minutes later: Brighouse, then 3 minutes later: YVR, etc…

One more thing I really don’t under stand: The first 3 late night N#10’s service Bridgeport station (AND YVR too) b-u-t- the rest of the late night trips DON’T??? I think they all should run the same route, and all should serve YVR & BRIDGEPORT station on all trips…

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, June 24, 2010 @ 10:16 am

Sean: Well, as mentioned the service isn’t going to increase until after the second year of Canada Line operation… I think we’re all hoping that it reflects your suggestions above.

Here’s the response about the N10 NightBus service from CMBC planning though!

Last summer we received letters from the City of Richmond and River Rock Casino asking for increased Night Bus service including service into Bridgeport Station. We looked into this and we were able to divert the YVR trips into Bridgeport Station at no cost. It was not possible to re-route the other trips as this was going to cost and we did not have the resources to do this.

Once funding becomes available I have a project to simplify the Night routes in the area with the intention that all trips go into Bridgeport Station.

• By Annoyed, June 26, 2010 @ 11:38 pm

INCREASED frequency? LOL.

I take the train that leaves Richmond-Brighouse for Waterfront at 6:51 am. The train arrives at the station at around 6:48 am.

Not so on Monday, June 21!

Not so the next day either when the train that leaves at 6:43 am never arrived and the 6:48 am train arrived “not in service.” The next train never arrived either, ’cause they couldn’t moved the out-of-service train out of the way. Result? Everyone had to make a mad dash to Lansdowne station to board the train

And for the rest of the week, the waits between trains in the morning have been 12 minutes long. It’s absolutely RIDICULOUS!!!

• By Raymond, February 4, 2013 @ 9:49 am

Hi there, what happens to all the newspapers found on the canada line trains and collected from the canada line stations? Are they recycled?

Who do i notify if i see someone spill coffee inside the train because that happened one day when i was taking the train.

1. Twitter Trackbacks for The Buzzer blog » Canada Line system performance test starts Monday June 21 [translink.ca] on Topsy.com — June 17, 2010 @ 6:57 pm