Paper models of the SkyTrain Mark I cars

A paper craft model of the Mark I SkyTrain car. Created by <a href=>Swift</a>!

A paper craft model of the Mark I SkyTrain car. Created by Swift!

Swift sent along some outlines for paper models of the SkyTrain Mark I cars, since none could be found online!

I’m told that comments are welcome, as these are initial designs and more details can certainly be added.

For more paper fun, check out my earlier post on paper buses and trains as well :)

Update, June 18: I’d forgotten that Jason Vanderhill has some more papercraft trains to share! Here is his comment:

Hey, wait! Remember there’s also my Papercraft model that may or may not be used to rebody the SuperExpress train set. Mk I and new Mk II cars, with a more accurate scale mockup from official PDF profile of the Mk II cars. Note there are two cars per design (car 134 and 135, and 305 and 306). In fact, I ALSO did car 110 and 111 of the Canada Line! Note these are all unofficial and made by me, except for the Mk II Technical Diagram I converted to Papercraft. See the entire photoset here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmv/sets/72157622988887112/

Tim Choi is also building a model of the SeaBus!

I’m currently building a small model of the new SeaBus – if you’re interested, you can follow my build thread on this forum: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=53458

Not much to show right now – just the hull. Will begin working on the cabin tonight.

• By Peter, June 17, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

I could have sworn some of these were done back in 1994. I distinctly remember colouring these when I was a kid ..

Was there something similar back then?

• By Brian, June 17, 2010 @ 5:13 pm

I agree, I could swear I’ve seen this before.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, June 17, 2010 @ 5:14 pm

I wasn’t here in 1994 so I’m not sure! But ome people do occasionally mention having a Community Shuttle cutout, which indicates there were earlier cutouts around. I’ll ask and see if anyone remembers (unless someone beats me to it here first :)

• By Jason V, June 17, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

• By Tim Choi, June 17, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

• By Frederick, June 17, 2010 @ 7:33 pm

I know back during the 90’s BC Transit had a tent with staff on hand to explain all things transit. I picked up a few SkyTrain paper models and I think they had ones of buses too.

• By Hilary, June 17, 2010 @ 8:18 pm

I vaguely recall having cardboard Skytrains around when the Millennium Line was in development. (My age was in the single digits, so I don’t remember a whole lot else about that.)

• By ..., June 17, 2010 @ 10:27 pm

I believe there are some cardboard BC Transit buses.

• By Bryan, June 18, 2010 @ 12:21 am

At one point, it wasn’t just BC Transit but West Coast Express put out a few paper models as well. If I still have it, I might have a copy of the MKI Skytrain Paper model. They used to give out. Jehnifer, if i can find it I’ll email you a scan of it.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, June 18, 2010 @ 10:01 am

Bryan: excellent! The more paper models the merrier.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano, June 18, 2010 @ 10:12 am

Jason, Tim: Yoops — I hadn’t realized there were more models out there! I’ll update the post to include both your links.

• By Tim Choi, June 18, 2010 @ 10:42 am

Thanks Jhen!

• By Swift, June 19, 2010 @ 12:35 am

Those old 90s models were the reason I drew these models up, since the once I had got long lost in storage, and no where on the web could I find any scans of them. I probably should have posted these up back in October when I made them, just didn’t quite get around to it.

And for anyone looking for West Coast Express models, check out this guys page

• By Alex, June 21, 2010 @ 11:43 am

I want to build one.

• By Cliff, June 25, 2010 @ 5:14 pm

When I was younger, I used a cut out of a bus, stuck two straws on the top and looped it through some string. I had a little 4×8 table and made a couple city blocks worth of miniature infrastructure. No small feat for an eight year old!

I also remember using Lego to create a station for the SkyTrain cutouts, but I don’t quite remember how well that went.

1. Twitter Trackbacks for The Buzzer blog » Paper models of the SkyTrain Mark I cars [translink.ca] on Topsy.com — June 17, 2010 @ 4:10 pm