A Bus for I Love Transit Night!

Happy I Love Transit Week, everyone! I hinted that we would be getting a bus this year for I Love Transit Night, and now I can happily say that it’s true! Yup, there will be a bus (not just any bus either) available to us to use this Thursday for fun, games and travel. Now, I tried my best to get the New Flyer Xcelsior, but that wasn’t possible this year (sorry Ben Lam). I did, however, managed to get a pretty cool bus.

A New Flyer articulated hybrid bus

New Flyer bus

Our own private New Flyer hybrid for the evening!

Yup, we got the big boy this year! Here are the stats for you bus enthusiasts:

Make: New Flyer
Model: DE60LFR
Quantity in fleet: 39 (all currently operating in Burnaby primarily)
Year: 2009
Length: 61′ (18.6 m)
Seats: 48
Total Capacity: 115
Curb Weight: 20,400kg (44,774 lbs)
Front Axle: 4,200kg (9,259 lbs)
Middle Axle: 5,770kg (12,721 lbs)
Rear Axle: 10,430kg (22,994 lbs)
Characteristics: All floor articulated, wheelchair (1 forward, 1 rear), Cummins ISL Engine/Allison EV50 Hybrid drive, diesel particulate filter.

Take a ride to the meet up

If you’d like to take a ride on the bus to the event, meet me at the Metrotown bus loop at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, July 14. The bus will leave at 5:45 p.m., so don’t be late! I’ll hold a sign up so you can find us!

Remember to send me an RSVP for I Love Transit Night

If you are planning to come to I Love Transit Night at the Bamboo Cafe outside of the Joyce-Collingwood SkyTrain Station, please RSVP to thebuzzer@translink.ca so I can get a good idea of how many people are coming.

I’ll see you on the bus or at the Bamboo!

• By Daniel, July 11, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

Nice! My favorite artic out of the fleet! Definetly gonna take a ride even though i can literally walk to the bamboo cafe :P

• By Elfren Ordanza, July 11, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

I’m definitely going fot eh ride! :)

• By Jacob, July 11, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

I think you’re facts are just a tiny bit off:
    Capacity 120
    Seating 47
    source: http://www.translink.ca/~/media/documents/bpotp/projects/expansion_upgrades/fleet pictorial.ashx Page 7

• By Derek Cheung CMBC, July 11, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

You should see if they could add a “I Love Transit” destination sign message.

• By Philip, July 11, 2011 @ 11:35 pm

So why would you need a bus if you can just go to the station directly above to get there?

• By Allan K, July 12, 2011 @ 1:39 am

Since someone mentioned artics… why not bring out that NovaBus LFX Articulated 60′ demonstrator that’s hanging around BTC? Would be a great photo opportunity and a cool chance to catch the future of TransLink lol. I should also mention that I see the New Flyer hybrid artics too much actually for it to be “special” since I use the 145 about six times a week. ^^;

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, July 12, 2011 @ 7:45 am

Hi everyone! I’m getting excited about the night. Thanks for the questions!

Jacob: I got those numbers from CMBC. You are correct in noticing that they’re different than what’s online. I’ll follow up.

Dereck Cheung: I like the way you think!

Philip: That’s a good question and one I had myself. We need a bus at the night for a game we’re going to play. Also, taking a bus to the event was such a hit last year (I’m told), that we thought we’d repeat it again this year.

Allen: I asked for a bunch of different and unusual buses, but the New Flyer was the only one I could get. Not everyone is familiar with this bus, so it will be special to some.

Perhaps next year we can have a vote on the bus most desired.

• By Ric, July 12, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

I’ll be at the Metrotown loop to ride the bus down to the event. What happened to getting the Xcelsior bus?

Hopefully we can get one of the Orion 5 Highway buses for the event next year. Those are my favourite buses in the Translink fleet.

Were those not available either?

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, July 12, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

Hey Ric:

The Xcelsior wasn’t available. I think a vote for bus we’ll use next year is the way to do it (depending on which buses are available).

• By Ric, July 12, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

Were you not able to get the orion highway coaches either?

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, July 12, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

Hi Ric: I didn’t ask for the highway couches because the in-city buses work best for the bus game.

• By Gordon G., July 12, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

I live out of town, but I frequently go into the city and I find that Transit totally uncomplicates my getting around and parking issues are no longer an issue. Most of all, it is greener.

• By ;-), July 12, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

That was so cruel when they make the teams do it a second time for “most improved”.

Will drop if I can get off work….

• By Daniel, July 12, 2011 @ 6:43 pm

The only LFX you will see if my Lego model im displaying :)

1. The Buzzer blog » I Love Transit Night! — July 12, 2011 @ 8:48 am