Friday fun poll: what’s the nicest thing another rider has ever done for you?

Kind gestures from riders always give you a smile!

OK friends! Here’s a fun poll just in time for the weekend. While I was riding transit with my baby daughter, I’d was always warmly surprised at how kind my fellow riders were: people would always give up seats so we could sit down.

This got me thinking about the wide variety of kindnesses our fellow riders offer us day to day. So here’s our Friday fun poll question: what’s the nicest thing another rider has ever done for you?

What's the nicest thing another rider has ever done for you?

• Other (32%, 24 Votes)
  • Given up their seat for me when I needed it (24%, 18 Votes)
  • Stepped off the bus to let me out first (20%, 15 Votes)
  • Helped me figure out where I was going (13%, 10 Votes)
  • Asked the driver to hold the vehicle for me (12%, 9 Votes)

Total Voters: 76

Of course, you’re only restricted to one choice to make the poll results more conclusive :) But feel free to elaborate in the comments below if you have more kind stories to share, especially if you picked “Other”!

• By Andrew, August 24, 2012 @ 4:59 pm

i was returning some equipment to long & mcquade and someone helped “reload” everything onto me so i could actually make it out the door of the bus

• By Elfren Ordanza (VanTransitFan), August 24, 2012 @ 5:16 pm

I’ve done so many things for other riders while on transit. Apparently, I don’t get anything back from other riders. :/

• By Holly, August 24, 2012 @ 5:52 pm

I have a fond memory of exchanging cookie recipes with another passenger and the driver on the B-line. While travelling with my children, I often sit up front and end up in friendly conversations!

• By Nick, August 24, 2012 @ 8:03 pm

I’ve had people shout (very loudly, I might add) “BACK DOOR!” to the driver when the green light wasn’t lit so that I could exit a bus a couple times. I am quite soft-spoken, so thanks to those folks and the drivers who often apologize for forgetting!

• By zack, August 24, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

That is the grossest post I’ve ever seen on the Buzzer Blog and should be removed immediately. In terms of the generosity exhibited by fellow passengers, I remember trying desperately exit the rear doors (which were locked) of the 320 bus on front of the superstore on 104th & 146 ave. I tried shouting BACK DOOR! but the driver didn’t listen what’s he sped off, that’s when on man shouted BAAAACK DOOOOOR!!! His voice was loud enough for an immediate reaction by the driver, I thanked the fellow passenger, although at the same time I was worried how all that shouting might have affected his vocal cords.

• By TM, August 25, 2012 @ 9:06 am

I’ve been helped out quite a few times. I’ve had riders tap me on the shoulder to wake me up at a terminus, or elderly people refusing to take the seat I’ve offered because I’m carrying lots of things. I’ve had my wallet returned to the bus driver before too. Lots of honest and kind people on transit.

• By Alex Stormhall, August 26, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

I never met this person in person, but there was one time where I was on the 321 headed to Newton Exchange, and I was rushing to make my connection with the 301 back to Richmond. In my haste, I had inadvertently left my laptop on the bus! Thankfully, I made it on the next 394 Express to take me to White Rock Centre, as the bus I had gotten off of was a White Rock bus. When I got there, the driver told me that there was a lady who was kind enough to turn in the laptop to him! The drivers on both buses were also very courteous, and helpful, and made an otherwise nervewracking experience more bearable.

• By Marvin B, August 27, 2012 @ 10:59 am

I once fell asleep on a late night 8 Fraser bus after a particulary long, awful shift. The driver noticed and woke me up somewhere around Kingsway. The driver asked where I wanted to be in case I fell asleep again. I told him 41st Ave. Before we arrived, sure enough I fell asleep again. The driver made sure I got off and didn’t go all the way to Marine Drive. I was extremely thankful!

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, August 28, 2012 @ 10:49 am

Andrew: I too have had a rider or two help with a heavy load I’ve taken on transit. It’s great and big help!

Elfren: I hope someone does something nice for you soon! I’ll keep an eye out for you on the system.

Holly: I find traveling with children on transit to be an equalizer among people and way to break the ice. I’ve had some great experiences with my child at the front of the bus.

Nick: Yes, I find the back door shout to be like people thanking drivers before they leave. It seems to be a sort of tradition on our buses. I wonder if this happens in other cities?

Zack: Gross? I don’t follow. It is nice that someone helped you out though. Let’s hope they didn’t hurt their vocal cords.

TM: Oh the kindness of strangers and bus operators. It’s nice to read that their are some kind people in the world.

Alex: Wow, you must have been worried. That’s fantastic that you got your laptop back!

Martin: That’s great news Marvin. Sometimes we all need a little help on transit.

• By A.R., August 29, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

My boyfriend and I were on the 99 during rush hour, packed in the area near one of the doors. He complained he wasn’t feeling well and before too long, he fainted. The other guys standing near us grabbed him so he didn’t fall too the ground, while other people shouted to the bus driver to pull over and let us off the bus. He thankfully came to within seconds, but I don’t think I would have been able to catch him on my own! Even on a crowded 99 people are pretty helpful.

• By Jhenifer Pabillano - Buzzer Editor, August 30, 2012 @ 9:20 am

A.R.: So lovely to hear fellow riders helped you and your boyfriend out! Hope he’s feeling better.

• By Eugene Wong, August 30, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

@ Robert Willis

I think that when Zack said “grossest post”, he was referring to a post that was deleted. I suspect that the help that somebody got was inappropriate for The Buzzer Blog’s readers. :^)

• By Phil, August 31, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

Just recently, someone was nice enough to point out that I was riding the wrong BART train in San Francisco.

I hadn’t even noticed I boarded the wrong train, but since I was riding with suitcase, she was nice enough notice and put her book down to explain to get to the airport. :)

• By zack, September 1, 2012 @ 12:35 pm

@Robert, just as Eugene said, someone who goes by the name Hmmm posted a very obscene post about a favor being done by another passenger (which I really do not want to divulge on the details!!!) but luckily the post was removed immediately from the Buzzer Blog team, so kudos to you guys! :)

• By Robert Willis - Buzzer Editor, September 4, 2012 @ 8:52 am

Phil: I was riding with a suitcase in Toronto recently and more than one person offered help with my journey. It’s nice to know there are kind fellow transit riders out there!

Zack: Thanks for filling me in. Jhen and I swap back and forth on the blog, so sometimes I don’t see all the comments.

1. The Buzzer blog » Fun poll results: There’s a lot of nice things people do for each other on transit — September 10, 2012 @ 8:00 am