Consultation begins for Phase One of the 10-Year Vision for Metro Vancouver Transit and Transportation
Last month, the council agreed upon a proposed plan and presented Phase One of their 10-Year Vision to the public.
Now it’s your turn to weigh in!
From October 11 to 31, 2016, TransLink is inviting Metro Vancouver residents to provide feedback on the approximately $2 billion plan that would increase transit services and improve roads, cycling, and walking infrastructure across the entire region.
Phase One details
- Increase bus service by 10% across the region, starting in early 2017, including five new B-Line express routes
- Purchase 50 new SkyTrain cars for the Expo, Millennium and Canada Lines, plus five new West Coast Express cars and a new SeaBus
- Increase SkyTrain service in early 2017, by providing more service during mid-day and early evening hours
- Improve the region’s major road network
- Improve and expand walking and cycling infrastructure across the region;
- Improve access to transit stations and stops
- Continue planning and design work for the Broadway subway and Surrey light rail
- Continue investing in system maintenance and performance.
The Phase One Plan would be paid for through a fair and balanced funding formula – leveraging an initial federal contribution of $370 Million, a provincial government contribution of $246 Million and a regional contribution of $1.3 Billion.
The regional funding would be raised through a number of existing and new sources including modest increases to transit fares and Metro Vancouver residential and business property taxes.
There are a number of ways for you to get involved including online at tenyearvision.translink.ca or by attending one of five scheduled Open Houses.
Open House schedule
- Saturday, October 15, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
(North Vancouver City Library, 120 14th St W, North Vancouver)
- Tuesday, October 18, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
(Act Art Centre Lobby, 11944 Haney Pl, Maple Ridge )
- Wednesday, October 19, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
(Collingwood Neighbourhood House, 5288 Joyce St, Vancouver)
- Thursday, October 20, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
(Chuck Bailey Recreation Centre, 13458 107A Ave, Surrey)
- Monday, October 24, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
(Kwantlen Polytechnic University, 8771 Lansdowne Rd, Richmond)
You can also send an email with your thoughts and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After the public consultation period and consideration by TransLink’s Board of Directors and the Mayors’ Council in November 2016, if the Phase One Plan is approved, region-wide transit system improvements will begin in early 2017.
Author: Jennifer Morland